Leg problems and more in Broilers

Del Cielo Chickens

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 12, 2009
High Desert of CA
I have been having some problems with my week old broilers. First thing is that some of them are having leg problems. They walk on their shins instead of their feet, some of them also have curled feet. I put a splint on some of them but I'm not sure if that's helping. Another problem is that two of the chicks have poopy backsides and one of them was very clogged up. I gave them yogurt. While I was watching them, one of the chicks pooped but as soon as it was done something red emerged from its vent. It looked like intestines. I'm very concerned. Thanks for your time.

Hi, I don't have many answers for you so this should bump you up maybe more experienced persons will see.......

Read some of the posts for "pasty butt". I wouldn't give them anymore yogurt for a while. Keep their hind ends cleaned off with a toothbrush and warm water and maybe give them some chick electrolyte, you can find it at feed/farm stores usually in powder form to mix with water. Sorry about the leg issue I dont know about that. Good luck!

Do you have them on medicated starter? It may be Cocci although
I have hear of leg issues with Cocci.

Where did they come from? Is the temp ok (around 90)?

Back
Top Bottom