Leg problems and more in Broilers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Del Cielo Chickens, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Del Cielo Chickens

Del Cielo Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2009
    High Desert of CA
    I have been having some problems with my week old broilers. First thing is that some of them are having leg problems. They walk on their shins instead of their feet, some of them also have curled feet. I put a splint on some of them but I'm not sure if that's helping. Another problem is that two of the chicks have poopy backsides and one of them was very clogged up. I gave them yogurt. While I was watching them, one of the chicks pooped but as soon as it was done something red emerged from its vent. It looked like intestines. I'm very concerned. Thanks for your time.

2. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    Hi, I don't have many answers for you so this should bump you up maybe more experienced persons will see.......

Read some of the posts for "pasty butt". I wouldn't give them anymore yogurt for a while. Keep their hind ends cleaned off with a toothbrush and warm water and maybe give them some chick electrolyte, you can find it at feed/farm stores usually in powder form to mix with water. Sorry about the leg issue I dont know about that. Good luck!

3. ODS-n-ENS FARM

ODS-n-ENS FARM Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    NH
    My first thought was over feeding but the toe-curling is not a over feed issue. Wish I had an answer.

4. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Do you have them on medicated starter? It may be Cocci although
    I have hear of leg issues with Cocci.

Where did they come from? Is the temp ok (around 90)?

5. deerhunterblp

deerhunterblp Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2009
    Batesville, Arkansas
    Did you incubate these? I've heard toe curling can come from bacteria in the incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by