Leg Problems- UPDATE with pics

Hi there I once read that to get rid of scaly leg mites a great
remedy is a mentholated chest rub available from any supermarket..The vaseline/oil base suffocates the mites and
the menthol helps also...Hope this helps. I tried this with
my chooks and it worked well. It also helps to soften the
thick scale so it is easier to remove with less pain and broken skin....

Thanks for the info- this roo has been a work in progress. His brother at my friend's house is beautiful, this one's just been hen-pecked quite a bit. When he's well, I'll see if I can post some pics

I think DLHUnicorn said to keep chickens away from menthol things, like Vics, and I follow her advice. So, you might want to double check the menthol - sorry, I don't remember which posts, but I think she was responding one of mine within the past ten days, if you were to search.

I've been putting bag balm on his legs every other night for the last week because it's what I had. It seems to be working ok. His scales are looking better. I've been putting the bag balm on his comb too for frostbite. Starting tonight, I'm going to be putting rooster-booster on his back where the hens pulled out his saddle feathers.

These are pics of his legs, also of his frostbit comb. The dark areas on his legs and toes are scabs. Is this scaly leg mites or something else? He's the only one out of 23 birds with this. We've been putting bag balm on his legs, feet and comb (that's why his comb looks dirty). Any additional advice would be great!
Jed4.jpg

Jed3.jpg

Jed1.jpg

Jed2.jpg

Sorry, I'm just getting used to this and didn't know if I should put the pics on the first page or the second- so now you have them on both!
smile.png

What I noticed more than any scaley leg mite is that it looks as tho he has a large swelling in one of those pics (between the toes) which might indicate bumblefoot (a common name for staph infection)... there are several posts here on that with photos ...might want to check it out.

Back
Top Bottom