Leg Problems- UPDATE with pics

Buster

Back to Work
12 Years
Jan 4, 2008
The Frozen Wasteland of Idaho
My SF rooster had blood on his legs the other day and now it's scabbed over. A friend of mine (everyone locally calls him the "chicken king") said he might have Scaly Leg Mites. He told me to make a mixture of rubbing alcohol and baby oil and rub on his legs. So we did. While we were at it, we put bag balm on his comb to help with the frostbite. Does anyone else have ideas about the legs?

These are pics of his legs, also of his frostbit comb. The dark areas on his legs and toes are scabs. Is this scaly leg mites or something else? He's the only one out of 23 birds with this. We've been putting bag balm on his legs, feet and comb (that's why his comb looks dirty). Any additional advice would be great!
Jed4.jpg

Jed3.jpg

Jed1.jpg

Jed2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How is the roo?

It's taken a few weeks, but my new hens are finally getting pretty little pink toes. The giving a soaking bath with a scrub and then mineral oil dunk is working very well for these two.

I've only done 2 treatments so far, but his legs don't have thick scabs all over them like before. I'm working on several things on him- legs, pecked feathers, and frostbit comb. He's not happy after I pluck him off his perch and go to work on him at night, but he'll be happier in the long run. Of all the chickens I got from this guy he's the only one with problems, all the others, including his, look fine.

Back
Top Bottom