My poor rooster! What is wrong?

Izivlesema

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2024
My rooster has had an issue at the top of his legs since he was small. I have tried different ointments on it and it appeared to have cleared up but then comes back and I try again.

I have had my own physical issues so did not stay on top of it because of my trouble and this weekend he is hurting and the top ( where his leg scales end and top of leg under feathers) is raw, swollen, and painful. I have used bag balm on legs and foot (his foot has swollen bruise looking spot and think from hopping and our awful land. Rocks and dirt, no grass or smooth area) and put bag balm on the raw mess.

I have him in the house to keep off the rough ground and less use of leg. I also figure I would soak foot in epsom salt for bruises so in house would be easier.

Last winter he and our other rooster also got what I thought was frostbite and treated with poultry bannix. Phil’s was still very red so last night I put a bit of bag balm on it too and this morning it looks horrible. It has never looked like this. Was just red spot. Did bag balm burn it?

Pic of his legs and comb as well as him being a good boy soaking. Philips Jersey Giant and about 15 lbs

What could it be and what else can I do?

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_2229.jpeg
    IMG_2229.jpeg
    419.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2228.jpeg
    IMG_2228.jpeg
    507 KB · Views: 10
Take a look at this thread of mine. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...e-not-injury-confirmed-to-be-a-tumor.1543307/ It may be the same as what my rooster has. I'm currently treating him with Serrapeptase and cortisone cream. While it hasn't cleared up, it hasn't gotten any bigger, and his pain seems under control.
It looks a bit similar but not quite. Right now I have in house to keep him more still but know he wants to get out with his girls. I got a honey/silver spray yesterday to use in hopes to soothe the area. I know he needs to move yet know it hurts his one leg more than the other.

Back
Top Bottom