Leg sprain (or other foot/leg injury)

SilkieSisters

Songster
Sep 4, 2018
I have a hen who was limping pretty bad yesterday and I took her inside and wrapped her leg with vet wrap thinking it was a possible sprain. I checked for bumblefoot and she doesn't have it. Her leg had some markings which is where I thought her injury could be located.
20200306_150308.jpg 20200307_150813.jpg
Today I saw her foot was purple and swollen - is it because I wrapped her leg too tight? Her limp is still the same regardless and I'm not sure what is causing it.
20200307_150640.jpg 20200307_150833.jpg 20200307_150745.jpg

Her foot has started to ooze a clear liquid from several different spots. It has become pretty warm to the touch and is still purple ish. Should I put ice on it for a bit? idk whats wrong with her foot

does anyone have any advice at all . . . every time i check on her her leg and foot are more swollen and it keeps getting bigger with some fluid. Its still purple and warm to the touch.

I am sorry that I hadn’t seen this earlier. It may take some time for the swelling to go down. Yes, I think that the wrap on her leg may have become to tight from slippage. There also may have been some swelling from an injury that led to the wrap becoming tight. I would continue doing the warm Epsom salts soaks to her leg at least once a day. You could spray on some Vetericyn where it has been weeping. Hopefully her leg will become less swollen and the color will return. I would limit her activity for a week or mire, and evaluate how well she is walking. You could cage her in a dog crate inside her coop and keep her with her flock for company.

I am sorry that I hadn’t seen this earlier. It may take some time for the swelling to go down. Yes, I think that the wrap on her leg may have become to tight from slippage. There also may have been some swelling from an injury that led to the wrap becoming tight. I would continue doing the warm Epsom salts soaks to her leg at least once a day. You could spray on some Vetericyn where it has been weeping. Hopefully her leg will become less swollen and the color will return. I would limit her activity for a week or mire, and evaluate how well she is walking. You could cage her in a dog crate inside her coop and keep her with her flock for company.
Thank you so much, shes been happy inside and shes still eating and drinking. Ill update how shes doing in a few days

@Eggcessive
My hen hasn't improved in her leg, but she is starting to hobble over to me. She took about 20 steps so that she can be at my feet because she likes the comfort. However i noticed that she has worms and shes not eating much at all. I dont have any branded chicken dewormer, so what should I do. Is it safe to use dog dewormer.

Do the worms look like thin spaghetti? I would not use dog wormer. What is it exactly? Most people use SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or Valbazen. Dosage of SafeGuard is 0.23 ml or 1/4 ml per pound given once and again in 10 days. Or give it for 5 consecutive days for most all worms. Valbazen dosage is 1/4 for a bantam given once orally, and again in 10 days. You can find SafeGuard at TSC, Valbazen online.

Back
Top Bottom