Leg won't bear weight: hawk strike injury

I worry as well but I've seen many things that say putting them together at night, when they're sleepy and disoriented is the best way. That they assume anyone who wakes up with them has been there all along.

I will, of course, report back.

Yesterday, one of my young Olive Eggers was injured in a hawk strike. My husband heard her screaming and I ran out and scared off the hawk. The poor hen (Enid, the nicest and gentlest of the four Olives) had a single slice through the skin of her left breast, which I treated and have wrapped up, but her right leg won't bear weight.

It doesn't appear to be broken anywhere, all of the joints work easily, and from what I can feel, all of the tendons are still in place. She can move her toes (she was holding onto my finger hard enough to pinch, while I was trying to wrap her leg up to her body to keep her from continuing to try to use it), but the foot and leg are noticeably colder than her left.

Right now she's inside my basement, lying down propped up on a pile of bedding (in an open-topped plastic bin) with water, food, and one of her buddies, but I don't know what else to do.

How can I tell where her leg is injured?

(ETA: All the other hens are under cover and were uninjured. For now, until we figure out how to suspend orange netting over their full run, they'll remain under cover in the covered run. Given that it's currently really cold and windy, they're mostly okay with that, but they clearly miss the choice to go out and poke around.)
Poor baby. Hope she’s ok. I lost one of mine to a hawk😞

I worry as well but I've seen many things that say putting them together at night, when they're sleepy and disoriented is the best way. That they assume anyone who wakes up with them has been there all along.

I will, of course, report back.
Not necessarily......that can work, but best be down there as soon as they wake up to be sure.

Well. Enid is doing okay back in the coop. I think she's sleeping in one of the low nest boxes, but that's fine, since the sleeping arrangements for the main flock are pretty high up.

She's being picked on, but she's still getting about. When she hangs out with the three she was raised with, she's mostly fine, but one or two of the older hens are bossier and she doesn't fight back at all. I'm making sure to get her treats and snacks when everyone else gets some, and I make sure to give her them out in the covered run with the rest of the flock, so they can continue to get used to her.

I don't know that she'll ever walk quite right again, but I think she'll be okay in the long run.

Attachments

• 113020 - Olives.jpg
    113020 - Olives.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 112820 - Enid in coop.jpg
    112820 - Enid in coop.jpg
    610.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Well. Enid is doing okay back in the coop. I think she's sleeping in one of the low nest boxes, but that's fine, since the sleeping arrangements for the main flock is pretty high up.

She's being picked on, but she's still getting about. When she hangs out with the three she was raised with, she's mostly fine, but one or two of the older hens are bossier and she doesn't fight back at all. I'm making sure to get her treats and snacks when everyone else gets some, and I make sure to give her them out in the covered run with the rest of the flock, so they can continue to get used to her.

I don't know that she'll ever walk quite right again, but I think she'll be okay in the long run.
She’s so adorable I want to kiss her!

I am glad that she is getting on okay! You amy want to separate her in a see no touch for a few days so they can get used to her without picking on her. But, as long as she isn't getting beat up it is probably fine, it your call! I have a hen with the same issue, never was completely sound but still gets around fine. Glad to see her doing better!

Back
Top Bottom