Leg Wound

eekay

In the Brooder
Feb 7, 2021
Alberta, Canada
Good morning,

My hen has a wound on her leg, if started as a bump which grew over a period of weeks until finally rupturing. She had something similar on top of her foot which had the same happen and it healed just fine. I feel like it might be the same bacteria as bumblefoot but this is high up on her leg.

She is not limping, can put weight on it, and it does not feel hot to the touch so I do not think it is infected, yet. Light squeezing produces nothing.
Her sisters unfortunately discovered it and did a number on it, causing it to bleed a lot. She has been isolated in her own section of the run for now with her own temp henhouse.

I've cleaned it thoroughly with Epsom salt and warm water with a little dawn dish soap, dried if thoroughly, got rid of any dried or dangling tissue and sprayed it with HydracinAH (Vetaracyn unavailable in my area but my understanding is its more or less the same).

We tried wrapping it up but she just rips off any bandage we can manage to get on there.

I've included some photos. Anyone have any input? Advice? I'm really not sure what the cause could be.
PXL_20221006_180410696.jpg
PXL_20221006_180415170.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t know what that is for sure. Did it look like the sores in this thread before it was pecked?
https://w okww.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-triaging-sores-chicken-legs.1007295/

Are you using any disinfectant on it? I would clean it with chlorhexidene and apply a little plain antibiotic ointment twice a day.
It actually looked just like that, but just a singular bump and there was no obvious scab, but I'm not sure if a scab was present prior to it rupturing. By the looks of that thread they have no idea what it was either.

I can't rule out insects as well as possibly some sort of environmental factor. We keep their henhouse and roost clean, and it's been very dry to damp hasn't been an issue.

I can't get chlorhexidine here unfortunately, a lot of treatments are very tightly regulated and restricted where I am without a special license or prescription. I basically have HydracinAH, Dettol, Peroxide , Iodine and Rubbing Alcohol at my disposal as well as Neosporin.

Chlorhexidene is surprisingly an ingredient of a few first aid creams in other countries. Povidone iodine is good. Dettol may be fine, even normal saline is good, as well as the Neosporin. Alcohol burns and peroxide can prevent wound healing, so avoid that one. If you see more skin eruptions, that could be a sign of certain viruses (Mareks or leukosis) that cause cancer. Hopefully, it is just a wound that may have abscessed.

Chlorhexidene is surprisingly an ingredient of a few first aid creams in other countries. Povidone iodine is good. Dettol may be fine, even normal saline is good, as well as the Neosporin. Alcohol burns and peroxide can prevent wound healing, so avoid that one. If you see more skin eruptions, that could be a sign of certain viruses (Mareks or leukosis) that cause cancer. Hopefully, it is just a wound that may have abscessed.
They were vaccnated for Marek's but I know that's not a guarantee. I did see mention of Leukosis and have been trying to find some reference images on that but nothing similar is showing up.

Like I mentioned she did have a bump very similar to this between her toes about 2 years ago that ruptured and healed on its own without any intervention, so I'm hopeful this will be the same.

All we can do at this point really is keep it clean and monitor it.

Back
Top Bottom