Legal Elimination of Hawks and Owls

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by MayberrySaint, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

a lady down the highway from me has a 3ft tall, very well-painted Bald Eagle--I think it's just cut out plywood? Anyway, it's on the top of her chicken coop! I noticed her run is uncovered--so I'm assuming it's to keep the hawks away? My hubby said she's had that for years and he remembers seeing ravens dive-bombing it!

1 person likes this.
  2. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    Thats a good idear wood cut out painted like a bald eagle. Also I heard to get those garden glow/mirror balls. Put a few of them out there. One other thing the feed store here sells blow up owls(keep your minds out the gutter:idunno) they hang them in the garden and when the wind blows so do they, looks like they are moving. I also believe do what you have to do and keep your mouth shut. To me less govt. the better.[​IMG]

sylviethecochin likes this.
  3. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Quote:[​IMG]

4. poolcoping

poolcoping Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    Aumsville
    I live in Oregon and we have LOTs of hawks and Owls,Tons of which live out back by the creek including a pair of Bald Eagles! I know they do snag a bird or two from time to time but I could never imagine killing wildlife for doing there job. I own my flock to get back to the earths beat and I don't think that killing Hawks,Owls,or any bird helps me accomplish that. I buy a few more then I need to off set losses and even though sad,the loss of a personal bird is just part of the food chain. Losing a good gal sure hurts but we are losing wild life WAY faster then we are losing domestic fowl and we should do our best to keep wildlife here for the generations who will follow us:)

5. das fisch

das fisch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    southern Maine
    I'd like to see the ordinary person (not associated with the FDA) get a permit for this. I run a wildlife damage control company, am licensed by multiple states and so on; and for me to even get a permit for canadian geese (which fall under the same migratory bird act) IF i'm issued a permit it takes 2-3 months.

we're talking geese, let alone hawks and such!

1 person likes this.
  6. Swamp Roo

Swamp Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    SW FL
    Why not work with someone that keeps and works with birds of prey? They already HAVE permits, and the ones I know "replace" their birds every X number of years.

Swamp

7. mightieskeeper

mightieskeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2009
    Clio Michigan
    I have hawks and crows. They eat my field mice! I love to watch the hawks soar up high. It is amazing!

1 person likes this.
  8. chikenluver27

chikenluver27 New Egg

Aug 3, 2009
    Well for those of you who do not want to kill (I don't relly mind) if hawks are the problem, keep your chickens under the radar for awhile and the hawks will leave. They never stay in one place for too long.

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Most likely, if your's is a hawk problem, you would see feathers. They often have a pile of feathers in a circle around where the bird was taken.

10. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:well, there are 3 seasons in michigan where I can get a permit to legally take canadian geese by the numbers [​IMG] They are tastey and the bag limits are great. If I only could get by without using steel shot grrrrrrrrr

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by