Legality of giving/selling chicken eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by duckncover, Aug 26, 2014.

1. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    I would like to start giving my chickens infertile eggs to someone that could use them...like a needy family or someone that eats eggs. My question is what kind of risk am I taking by giving them to someone? My chicken is kept inside most of the day but let out to graze and get some sun. She is kept in a clean xl dog crate in my living room. I feed her chicken layer pellets along with a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables. Are her eggs safe? Can someone get sick from them? What if they get sick unrelated to the eggs and blame the eggs I gave them? Just wanted to ask before I go ahead and start giving them away.

2. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Check your state laws regarding this. The agriculture bureau in your state should be able to answer your questions. If you meet all their requirements I would call my nearest food bank to see if they will accept them.

I'm in New Hampshire. The only rules are that the eggs have to be in a carton (it can be a reused egg carton but the original expiration date has to be crossed off) and your name and address has to be on the carton. I use self stick return address labels. The food pantry is always happy to get fresh eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by