Legality of selling meat birds in GA?

ssramage

Songster
10 Years
Mar 8, 2013
St. Simons Island, GA
Hi, looking for some advice. I have a small hobby farm and I plan to start raising meat birds, primarily for family consumption this year, but would like to offer some for sale when I can to offset cost.

Does anyone know the regulations/laws related to selling chicken meat in the state of GA?

Hi, looking for some advice. I have a small hobby farm and I plan to start raising meat birds, primarily for family consumption this year, but would like to offer some for sale when I can to offset cost.

Does anyone know the regulations/laws related to selling chicken meat in the state of GA?

START HERE. the short answer is that GA, like my State of FL, and my once state of TX, have "Cottage Industry" laws which, subject to innumerous restrictions, allow a resident to sell a small amount of goods from the home without jumping through more, and more expensive, hoops for the privilege to do so. Further note that, even if you comply with all applicable GA laws, and Federal labelling laws, your local political subdivisions may also have something to say on the matter (County and City zoning and business licensing, particularly). Thankfully, there's enough interest in the idea that the State and County offices are getting better at helping interested parties find all the laws that potentially apply to them.

I should further note that, while the GA regulations at first glance appear more onerous than those I suffer under in FL, some of the resources they make available appear more valuable. As with everything, there are trade-offs.

START HERE. the short answer is that GA, like my State of FL, and my once state of TX, have "Cottage Industry" laws which, subject to innumerous restrictions, allow a resident to sell a small amount of goods from the home without jumping through more, and more expensive, hoops for the privilege to do so. Further note that, even if you comply with all applicable GA laws, and Federal labelling laws, your local political subdivisions may also have something to say on the matter (County and City zoning and business licensing, particularly). Thankfully, there's enough interest in the idea that the State and County offices are getting better at helping interested parties find all the laws that potentially apply to them.

I should further note that, while the GA regulations at first glance appear more onerous than those I suffer under in FL, some of the resources they make available appear more valuable. As with everything, there are trade-offs.

Thanks! I called the Dept of Ag and was able to find out that as long as I process under 1000 birds per year, there’s no regulations from the butchering standpoint. I almost wonder if it wouldn’t be less headache to just sell live birds to my friends/family and help them process.

as long as I process under 1000 birds per year, there’s no regulations from the butchering standpoint.

1000 birds per year! That's pretty impressive. And that was a very quick answer. I'm even more impressed you got an answer that quickly.

I almost wonder if it wouldn’t be less headache to just sell live birds to my friends/family and help them process.

I can't answer that at all, I don't know how much of a headache it would be to work with your friends/family to help them process. You are not in control of the schedule if you do that. You might be able to make a party out of it or it could be a real pain. But think of the logistics, that's where I'd be concerned.

as long as I process under 1000 birds per year, there’s no regulations from the butchering standpoint.

1000 birds per year! That's pretty impressive. And that was a very quick answer. I'm even more impressed you got an answer that quickly.

I almost wonder if it wouldn’t be less headache to just sell live birds to my friends/family and help them process.

I can't answer that at all, I don't know how much of a headache it would be to work with your friends/family to help them process. You are not in control of the schedule if you do that. You might be able to make a party out of it or it could be a real pain. But think of the logistics, that's where I'd be concerned.

I use the term “help” very loosely and vaguely in this instance. Wink wink. As in, I could help them process by doing it for them as a favor.

Back
Top Bottom