Leghorn appears withdrawn - why?

Stella1964

Songster
11 Years
Mar 30, 2008
Ontario Canada
Our leghorn is 6 months old and has been laying for about 7 weeks now, consistently and well. However, in the last few days/nights, she hasn't been leaving the nest box. She sits in there all the time and makes a fuss when we try to encourage her out of the box. We only have 4 chickens and therefore only one nest box.

Is this normal behaviour? She was previously out and about with the others and active in the run, and she seems to still be interested in food but she spends most of the day in the box now, while the others are in the run. The poop seems ok, colour and consistency is normal. We checked her physically, the crop is ok and she doesn't appear to have any wounds or physical problems, clear eyes etc.

What could be wrong? Is her sudden need to just sit in the box all day/night something to be concerned about? Leghorns aren't normally broody types.

idunno.gif

if you want to discourage her from being broody, try to block her from the nest box..
sometimes when they go broody when very young..they "change their mind" in a week or 2..
just pull her out and keep her moving.
make sure she gets up and out to eat, drink, eliminate and exercise her legs.

is she staying in the nest box at night?
or is she roosting with the others?

I've known Pearl White Leghorns to go broody and raise chicks... I know... rare!

If she stays there another week, Get her a couple chickies and let her raise them.

OK, after laying 30 days straight, she's stopped laying now 3 days in a row...the other 3 continue to lay every day and don't exhibit this nest box obsessiveness. We blocked the nest during the day, and she just sits inside the coop. On occasion she'll run outside with the others, then scoot right back in again and sit, all day, all night. We built another box, she goes into that one as well and doesn't leave, but at least one box is open for the other 3 to use.

DH is concerned she is going to die, but we have no other signs of illness, except the lack of laying and her need to brood. Very weird.

There's nothing we can do I suppose. And if it was a disease of some sort, the others would show signs as well, wouldn't they?

We'll see what the next week or so brings. Thanks for the responses.

Stella

Quote:
As far as we can tell, she sits in the box at night too. The others roost on their perches or huddle in the shavings...it's getting cold here now.

Reach in and take her off the nest and yes it hurts slightly when they bite and so if you want to wear gloves, she may get the message after doing it once but it may also take cageing her in a wire bottomed cage with just feed and water to break her up.

Quote:
I was wondering if it has something to do with the colder days/nights that she won't leave the nest box? The other 3 don't seem to mind the cooler temps.

Back
Top Bottom