Leghorn chicks breathing fast. I hear a clicking sound coming from 2 of them when they breathe. Coul

I'm not sure I would... If it's fungal, which it could be, antibiotics aren't going to help and could make it worse. Get yourself a a digital kitchen scale and start weighing all of your chicks daily. At this age, they should be gaining weight, not sure how much, but it should always be a gain. This should help you figure out which ones are feeling well before they start looking so depressed.

I'm not sure I would... If it's fungal, which it could be, antibiotics aren't going to help and could make it worse. Get yourself a a digital kitchen scale and start weighing all of your chicks daily. At this age, they should be gaining weight, not sure how much, but it should always be a gain. This should help you figure out which ones are feeling well before they start looking so depressed.
That's true. What a great idea! I'm heading to Walmart soon, I'll get the scale.

I just saw all 3 Leghorns getting a drink! It's sort of hard to tell the 2 sick ones apart so at least I know neither of them need me to give them a drink. I think they're improving for sure! Should I continue the Duramycin for the 7 days? Will I be able to put them back in with the others later?

That's true. What a great idea! I'm heading to Walmart soon, I'll get the scale.

I just saw all 3 Leghorns getting a drink! It's sort of hard to tell the 2 sick ones apart so at least I know neither of them need me to give them a drink. I think they're improving for sure! Should I continue the Duramycin for the 7 days? Will I be able to put them back in with the others later?
If they are improving with what you're doing, keep doing it. You might try marking their toes with a permanent marker or get some different colored leg bands to mark the uniquely.

If they are improving with what you're doing, keep doing it. You might try marking their toes with a permanent marker or get some different colored leg bands to mark the uniquely.
I never thought of that. They are actually laying down right now instead of standing beside each other like they were. I'm feeling better about them than I was before. I just hope they keep improving and the others don't get anything since they were all together.

Last edited:
I never thought of that. They are actually laying down right now instead of standing beside each other like they were. I'm feeling better about them than I was before. I just hope they keep improving and the others don't get anything since they were all together.
That's always a good sign! Find a way to way them, if nothing else, you'll learn about weight gain in chicks (see my avatar).

Disclaimer:
I weigh everything!

That's always a good sign! Find a way to way them, if nothing else, you'll learn about weight gain in chicks (see my avatar).

Disclaimer:
I weigh everything!
Love the avatar! I have a scale that I use for cooking, but it's not digital so that's what I'll buy to weigh mine.

Back
Top Bottom