Leghorn, Delaware or Columbian Rock?

He doesn't look like a Dellie -- like speckledhen said, they have barred hackles and tail feathers. The girls look like Dellies though.

Would have been nice if Cackle had some pictures of what the Dellie/Hampshire cross looks like when they're adults.. But that could very well be what you have.

They looked just like the chicks in the video when they were little so that is why I thought they were leghorns for so long. I am not sure where the feed store got them from but I am going to ask if they get their stock from cackle and If they do than the mystery will be solved. It dosen't make up for the fact that they sold them to us as leghorns which we wanted for white eggs but I guess I can get some white layers next spring (my husband will love that!) But since the white eggs are for his mother he shouldn't complain to much! HA! Chicken math strikes again!

Last edited:
Now I am really confused. The feed store told me that they get their chicks from Ideal Poultry. I was hoping they got them from Cackle so I knew what they were. I am going to email Ideal with a picture and see if they will ID them for me. The feed store acted like the mix up was ideals and responded to my post with this "We apologize, we can only go by what they send us (hoping the chicks are labeled correctly). The hatchery is Ideal Poultry 1-800-243-3257."

If it's from Ideal, then you got their version of Delaware, which has Columbian Rock bred into the lines at some point. I've seen some of their Dels. They don't sell Columbian Rocks, as such, but way back, I remember Welp hatchery in particular selling them as "Delaware/Columbian Rock" like they were the same breed. NOT!

I have a 12 week old Columbian Rock roo and he looks exactly like your roo pic. His tail feathers are coming in green, not barred. I got mine at the feed store, they came from Mt. Healthy hatchery. Their website describes them as a RIR/White Rock cross.

Back
Top Bottom