Leghorn laying brown egg?

FinnEllaMom

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 9, 2019
We have 9 chickens. 5 - RIR, 2 Leghorns & 2 Americanas (not the true Ameraucana) Currently one of my Leghorns is in timeout because she is broody & we are trying to break her. Here is what I'm confused about... today we got 8 eggs total, 6 brown & 2 white - 1 of the white has a slight pinkish tint. In the past when they have all been together and everyone layed we have got 7 brown eggs and the 2 white w/1 being slightly pink. The slightly pink egg is not uncommon. My question is has anyone ever seen a leghorn lay a brown egg? This particular leghorn has been broody before so this isn't the first time this has happened. I hope this isn't too confusing.

My question is has anyone ever seen a leghorn lay a brown egg? This particular leghorn has been broody before
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Please post a pic of your suspected Leghorn, using that little square that looks like mountains at the top of the reply box. :pop

No, I've never seen a Leghorn lay a brown egg YET. Hey why not post a pic of your eggs to? ;) That's terrible that neither one of your Easter Eggers lays colored eggs for you. :smack

My current suspicion is that you might have yourself a white Rock. :cool:

How old are your birds?

Could we see a picture of her? She might not even be a Leghorn...she could be a different type of bird with a red ear lobe, and you just haven't noticed, or just never knew. There are lots of white or brown partridge/pencilled (whatever color yours is) chickens out there, and Leghorns were bred to lay lots of eggs, so any broodiness should've been bred out, too...I get there can always be exceptions in individuals of breeds, but Leghorns certainly aren't known for being broody, and I'd say that's rare! Plus, Leghorns don't lay brown eggs. :)

Please post a pic of your suspected Leghorn, using that little square that looks like mountains at the top of the reply box. :pop

No, I've never seen a Leghorn lay a brown egg YET. Hey why not post a pic of your eggs to? ;) That's terrible that neither one of your Easter Eggers lays colored eggs for you. :smack

How old are your birds?

How old are your birds?
Our girls are 9 months old. Here is a picture of the 2 leghorns taken a few weeks ago. Screenshot_20190405-195235_Gallery.jpg The one with the spot on it is the one that is broody.

Attachments

• 20190405_163417.jpg
    20190405_163417.jpg
    586.3 KB · Views: 33
Our girls are 9 months old. Here is a picture of the 2 leghorns taken a few weeks ago. View attachment 1727538 The one with the spot on it is the one that is broody.
I don't think your white hens are your leghorns. I don't see white earlobes.I think your brown one to the left of the white ones is a brown leghorn.

Back
Top Bottom