Leghorn laying shell less/soft shelled eggs

ElaynasChick

Songster
Sep 30, 2019
Washington
Hello! My 2yo white leghorn hen that i raised since she was a chick usually has the strongest most consistent eggs, she laid through the winter last year too. i had noticed she is not laying anymore (which i would understand because it is the winter) however everynight when i check on the hens at around 9-10pm everyone is sleeping and i see a soft shel-less egg under her. All my hens are on purina layena oyster strong feed and free choice oyster shells, i am not sure what is going on because she should be getting enough calcium, they all get fresh water and all my other hens are laying strong eggs except for this one EE that has always layed eggs that feel just a bit thinner but nothing worrying to me. I have also noticed that the leghorn's feathers are no longer as bright white as they used to be and she is pretty dirty looking now compared to my other hens, she used to be bright white all the time. Please any advice would be helpful! I love this hen so much and i'm worried she could get eggbound or something if she keeps laying these soft eggs.

How many soft shelled eggs have you gotten from her? Not that unusual for birds to have egg issues just before, during and after molt, if they keep laying.
I've seen two so far but i'm guessing there has been more because the two i saw were spaced 2-3 weeks apart and my other hens eat them instantly so it is kind of hard to know exactly how many. last winter she went into molt around this time so that could be.

It really is not unsusal to get wonky eggs once in a while. I would not worry about this. Those old ratty feathers are a pretty good sign she is going into a molt. They look almost ragged. And going into molt is often a weird time for eggs, as that system is shutting down for a break, and weird things happen.

If she is active, eating and bright eyed, I would not worry about this at all.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom