Leghorn maintenance.

Agreed, please show us photos of your setup.

As a general rule, if you give chickens dry housing with plenty of suitable organic bedding and the opportunity to create dustbaths according to their needs/preferences they will keep themselves clean -- though white birds might be stained by minerals in the dirt and birds approaching molt will be pretty dingy with their worn feathers.

It's a lot better to prevent them from getting dirty in the first place.
Where are they getting dirty?
Can you post pictures of your

Attachments

• F56DB2A2-29CF-4D40-91E9-BBAB5AA0C5B1.jpeg
    F56DB2A2-29CF-4D40-91E9-BBAB5AA0C5B1.jpeg
    879.3 KB · Views: 1
  • ED01B624-EBEB-4F71-9346-2DE3E0E32145.jpeg
    ED01B624-EBEB-4F71-9346-2DE3E0E32145.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1
This is what I got going on. Any products I can use to fix that grass? It was greener a few weeks ago… been giving alfalfa to make up for the ugly grass. Willing to learn, tips will be accepted and appreciated. Thanks

Agreed, please show us photos of your setup.

As a general rule, if you give chickens dry housing with plenty of suitable organic bedding and the opportunity to create dustbaths according to their needs/preferences they will keep themselves clean -- though white birds might be stained by minerals in the dirt and birds approaching molt will be pretty dingy with their worn feathers.
My girls stopped laying eggs for about a month I assumed it was b/c of molt. I did see Feathers everywhere but was expecting it to be a lot worse… almost like them getting bald patches or something. My leghorns are dirty a lil is it okay to bathe them?

My girls stopped laying eggs for about a month I assumed it was b/c of molt. I did see Feathers everywhere but was expecting it to be a lot worse… almost like them getting bald patches or something. My leghorns are dirty a lil is it okay to bathe them?

Dry chickens are healthy chickens so bathing should only be done in extreme circumstances.

Can you get some dry organic material down over that dirt? Coarse wood chips, the sort you get from a tree trimming service are a favorite among BYC members but there are lots of other options too.

Where are you located? Is it spring or fall? If it's spring you might be able to set up a rotation system where you can grow grass in part of the run then move them, but if it's fall you'll just need to add plenty of litter to cover the dirt and compost with the poop. :)

Dry chickens are healthy chickens so bathing should only be done in extreme circumstances.

Can you get some dry organic material down over that dirt? Coarse wood chips, the sort you get from a tree trimming service are a favorite among BYC members but there are lots of other options too.

Where are you located? Is it spring or fall? If it's spring you might be able to set up a rotation system where you can grow grass in part of the run then move them, but if it's fall you'll just need to add plenty of litter to cover the dirt and compost with the poop. :)
I'm from TX. currently fall here, super hot but weve gotten some rain. Also, as much as i hate to admit i know a percentage of why theyre stained is because of the coop. They've been pooping big lately. is that normal?? I provide shavings in the coop as much as possible

I'm from TX. currently fall here, super hot but weve gotten some rain. Also, as much as i hate to admit i know a percentage of why theyre stained is because of the coop. They've been pooping big lately. is that normal?? I provide shavings in the coop as much as possible

Chickens poop. It's a fact of life.

If people are planting lawns now in your area then you can plant grass -- but you have to fence your chickens off it until it's established.

I'm a fan of Deep Bedding. Here's my article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/

The more dry organic material you can get in there the better, IMO, but added in layers regularly rather than all at once.

Back
Top Bottom