Leghorn Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FluffyChickenMama, Aug 27, 2007.

1. biretta

biretta Songster

Jun 7, 2007
    Rchicks, what is Ideal's minimum on chicks? I thought it was 25? Anyway I did indeed call Meyer right after reading these posts; I changed the Leghorn to a Golden Buff which they claim are very calm and docile. Hope they turn out that way.

2. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Songster

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    Ideal is spend $20 then they have a $7 small chick order!

not sure what a golden buff is but, glad they change your leghorn!

3. biretta

biretta Songster

Jun 7, 2007
    Hmm. Wish I would have known. I would have checked their site out too before ordering. Now I have to wait till Sept. 11 for the one Maran in the order.

4. MoonGoddess

MoonGoddess Songster

Apr 8, 2007
    Philly, PA
    You know, my leghorns were wild when they were young, but are totally docile now. I have four. They are California Whites...does this make a difference? In all honesty they are far more easy going than my Barred Rocks!

5. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Songster

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    I hope these calm down.. My roos is already getting GOREGEOUS!! But I cant stand that wild and craziness they exhibit right now.. I am at least gonna try and hold out til spring... They are Rose Comb brown leghorns.. beautiful birds.. I got mine from Welp Hatchery.. I had ordered a total of 28 birds and they were all very healthy and jumping around but it was sure easy to pick out the Leghorns even at a couple days old..

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD

Quote:You're lucky. I had cai whites and they were jumpy too... just half a notch below the leghorns!

7. MoonGoddess

MoonGoddess Songster

Apr 8, 2007
    Philly, PA
    Yeah, I know...that's what I keep hearing. I obviously don't disbelieve-so many chicken owners say the same thing. It's just that we really don't have that issue at all! It's strange...I think I am half-disappointed or something. I mean I planned on keeping them anyhow because of how proficient they are at laying and I am the old woman in the shoe (many kids). I was all geared up for them to be insane and squawk and carry on...when in reality they are sort of bland! LOL.[​IMG]

8. biretta

biretta Songster

Jun 7, 2007
    Moongoddess, want to trade chickens?! Mine won't shut up!

9. LeghornGuy

LeghornGuy In the Brooder

Jul 18, 2007
    New Orleans
    I have white leghorn hens and brown leghorn hens.
    They were wild and hyper but calmed down some.
    The leghorn rooster is very aggressive. He seems more like a fighting game cock. However, he keeps the peace among the ladies.
    (15 leghorn hens and one rooster)

10. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I have a white and a brown leghorn, and they are just as nuts as everyone has described them.

Here's a shocker... My buff minorca is worse than the leghorns! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: