1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Leghorn rooster or hen?? Help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MontanaMomma, Jun 22, 2009.

1. MontanaMomma

MontanaMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    I have five Leghorn pullets (hopefully) that are about 3 1/2 months old. Two are a bit bigger than the rest and are developing their combs and red cheeks. I'm worried that they might be roosters. Their combs stick straight up. Do the hens flop over from the start? Or do they grow up then flop over later? I'm worried because I live in town and roosters present a noise problem and I would have to find homes for them if they are roosters. [​IMG]

2. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    I have 3 mo old leghorns .Hens do not have big combs .Giving us pictures will be better.

3. krazycow6

krazycow6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Zephyrhills, FL
    Some leghorn hens have very large combs, but they should be folded over. Pics would help.

4. MontanaMomma

Oct 7, 2008
    I think we have decided they are hens with big combs that will fold towards the back and we just have to wait and see. They all have similar tail feathers that stick straight up also. Thanks for the input. This link was helpful.
    http://www.cacklehatchery.com/whtleghornpage.html

5. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    i have leghorns with realy red combs and waddles and i have em with pink ones they are all the same age just some mature faster but the weird thing is they are 23 weeks and the one with the pink comb and waddles squatted first

6. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    In the past, my white leghorn girls had large red combs and wattles. The combs didn't fall over until they were ready to lay.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  7. MontanaMomma

Oct 7, 2008
    Long time getting back... they were all hens! I put a comfy chair in the yard and waited for one of the quasi hen/roosters to go in the coop and then shut the door. When "it" came out, walah! There was an egg inside! All hens. Yaye!!

8. BarrettG

BarrettG Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2015
    S.Florida
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Montana momma or anyone what do you think these are?

9. BarrettG

BarrettG Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2015
    S.Florida
    They are 8 weeks old

10. Gojichicken

Gojichicken Just Hatched

Mar 20, 2017
    Rio Communities, NM
    I googled it because my pullets are just weeks old and I'm pretty sure I have a rooster and I don't know what to do with it now. Do I take it back to the feed store that thought that they were all hens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by