leghorn shells cracking

sueandthe6

Songster
8 Years
May 18, 2014
southeast Pa
I have 8 girls-two leghorns, two orpingtons, a bramah, a production red (I think), a cochin and a mutt. This will be my second summer with them- and they came to me as mostly adults last march. They all free range almost daily, for several hours in my stone/dirt driveway and the leghorns actually free range more than the others because they tend to get out without my help. I offer oyster shells at all times but have gotten lazy about the grit since they have access to my driveway and very rocky soil. I have noticed over the last month or so- at least three or four days a week one if not both of the leghorn eggs is cracked. Not large spoil the egg crack- but when I wash them I see it. I put them in the bin in my fridge that is for me- and when they cool back down the cracks are barely noticeable and I have eaten several of the eggs and they are fine. I just don't understand why its just the leghorns. Could it be an age thing? They are probably going on three years old if the guy I got them from was honest. Would I see changes already>?

Are the shells thin? They will crack easily if so. If the diet is fine (and they need oyster shell all the time!!!) then it may just be the one hen. Leghorns produce so many eggs / week, it's a huge metabolic stress for them. Oyster shell may not make up for their needs, especially if their layer diet is too supplemented by greens and stuff. Age can also be a factor; nobody selects for longevity, especially leghorn longevity. Mary

Back
Top Bottom