Leghorn Temperament

Aunt Angus

🐓+🦆+🐐=🎪
5 Years
Jul 16, 2018
Nevada County, CA
Hi, there!

I'm taking in a couple of rescue hens. One is a white leghorn. I've heard they can be mean... and I've heard they can be friendly.
What do those of you with experience say about them?

I know every bird is an individual, but think typical leghorns.

TIA!

The majority of our chickens over the years have been White Leghorns, and have had a small number of both Brown and Red varieties of Leghorns. None of our Leghorns were mean with the exception of a white Leghorn rooster he was a vile little creature. The hens weren’t bad at all just not pets. They would generally run and fly and flap their wings when entering the coop, but would soon settle down and come back fairly close while I fed them or had some table scrap treats for them. Catching them to move to another coop etc had to be done at night while roosting otherwise very hard to catch. They are great layers, have only had one go broody. A red Leghorn went broody and could be a bit of pill to out if the nest box, but no worse than any other broody hen.

The majority of our chickens over the years have been White Leghorns, and have had a small number of both Brown and Red varieties of Leghorns. None of our Leghorns were mean with the exception of a white Leghorn rooster he was a vile little creature. The hens weren’t bad at all just not pets. They would generally run and fly and flap their wings when entering the coop, but would soon settle down and come back fairly close while I fed them or had some table scrap treats for them. Catching them to move to another coop etc had to be done at night while roosting otherwise very hard to catch. They are great layers, have only had one go broody. A red Leghorn went broody and could be a bit of pill to out if the nest box, but no worse than any other broody hen.
Thanks for the info. I'm looking to integrate them into my existing flock eventually. I couldn't care less if they want to spend time with me. I just don't want them to be problematic with my current girls. I'm hoping my older girls can keep them in line.

It depends on the bird but I wouldn't anticipate having any problems. Our leghorns aren't cuddlers but they aren't mean to humans or other hens. They can be flighty but still come to us for treats and get along well with our mixed flock. Best of luck!

My Leghorns have never cared one bit about the pecking order. Now, I free range so it might be different if they were crowded, but I've had other hens square off with each other but never those. They always seem too busy. Places to go, things to do, bugs to catch.

My Leghorns have never cared one bit about the pecking order. Now, I free range so it might be different if they were crowded, but I've had other hens square off with each other but never those. They always seem too busy. Places to go, things to do, bugs to catch.
Good point. The girls I'm getting are not free ranged at all. They are being kept in a filthy dirt floor chicken wire pen with no roosts, no nest boxes, nothing. Well, there is a dust bath. I do a combination of containment and free range, and my flock of 8 (soon to be 10) has about 400 sq ft of pen - much more than where she and the 13 others are.

My Silkies don't participate in the pecking order, either. It'd be great if that's the case with these additions!

Back
Top Bottom