Leghorn Thread

Pics
Ok, folks, I have a very big stick here! Alaskan, did you get your RCBLs? I'd like a full report as I'm considering adding a few to my zone 4 flock this spring. FYI, I'm choosing all pea and rose combed birds due to winter cold issues. Have a RIR and BSL, courtesy of incubator trial, but from here on out, all additions will be RC or pea. Also looking at BLRW this spring. So, leghorn owners, how bout telling me how the rose combed birds compare to the straight combed birds, especially in terms of production, and how these birds do in a mixed flock. I'm fine with flighty, not so much willing to deal with aggressive.

Ok, folks, I have a very big stick here! Alaskan, did you get your RCBLs? I'd like a full report as I'm considering adding a few to my zone 4 flock this spring. FYI, I'm choosing all pea and rose combed birds due to winter cold issues. Have a RIR and BSL, courtesy of incubator trial, but from here on out, all additions will be RC or pea. Also looking at BLRW this spring. So, leghorn owners, how bout telling me how the rose combed birds compare to the straight combed birds, especially in terms of production, and how these birds do in a mixed flock. I'm fine with flighty, not so much willing to deal with aggressive.
Mine were never agressive. They were very friendly for awhile, but as they began laying became more shy. i have multiple pens of chickens. I had 2 leghorns, 2 cornish, 3 cochins, 2 orloffs, and 1 favorolle all mixed together. Everyone got along great. One leghorn would sleep with one of the cochins and the other with one of the orloffs. I got 4 or 5 eggs a week from them. But they did take a very long break for while. Not a problem with me though, as I don't care about production, unless I want to hatch eggs and well, I don't breed leghorns.

I don't think the comb of a bird is going to change its behavior. Behavior is usually an individual thing but you can breed for it.

I have got 7 White Leghorns. 1 rooster, 2 hens and 4 chicks.
My rooster is a very lovable lap rooster. He never attacks anyone or anything, unless he's protecting his girl or breaking up a fight.
The 2 hens are also friendly, not flighty at all but a little timid.
The chicks I don't know yet but are very inquisitive and come running to me even though they have broody mums.

Back
Top Bottom