Leghorn Thread

Pics
A few updated photos of the leghorns and the new renovations to the coop :)

That coop is filthy. The Leghorns are filthy. I'm not trying to pick on you, and I understand there are renovations taking place, but you might want to scrape, sanitize, and get new nests. The birds will actually stay white if you get some shavings in there, and clean up after them regularly.

I was trying to find a group of people with rose comb Leghorns.....

I searched, but couldn't find one.

Does no one on BYC have rose comb leghorns? If they are on here, where are they?
Try the Heritage Large Fowl thread on BYC.
Best,
Karen

I have a couple of customers that will only purchase white eggs. In the past I have had a few hatchery white leghorns just because of that factor. The breed seem to be so flighty that I have not really wanted to raise them. If I get any RC Leghorns to breed, the hatchery birds are not the quality I would want. So I am thinking of purchasing some Rose Comb Leghorns. How is the egg production on the RC Brown or RC White Leghorns? Are there other colors that are APA RC Leghorns? Who might have the best RC Leghorns that can be shown and lay well…or are there any out there?

I have/had that same question.

I couldn't find anyone to buy from, except Duane Urch/Turnlund.

Supposedly his birds are much better than hatchery, but he carries a good number of breeds, and some of his breeds are much better than others.

Also, supposedly his birds don't lay as well as the hatchery leghorns.

I dunno, I really want quality birds that lay well.

I have placed my order for the spring, I will be getting his RC light brown leghorns.

breeder birds almost never lay as well as hatchery. They are bred for quality not egg production. I probably get 3 or 4 eggs a week from my RC browns

I can't wait to see my RC leghorns.

The big single combs get frost bite too easily.

My Marans rooster looks like he already has a little frost bite on his wattles and his comb, just from this fall. I really didn't think that we had been that cold yet.....and his coop has good venting...odd really.

So yes, I am wanting to switch to only little combs.

Back
Top Bottom