Leghorn?

aShMaNv

Songster
11 Years
Jul 9, 2010
Choctaw, OK
I was considering getting some leghorns so i could start getting some white eggs. However i wanted to hear what everyone that has had experience with them has to say about leghorns as far as temperment and egglaying and the basics. Also is one color better that the other as far as white or brown leghorns?

I have a mixed flock of 70 or so birds of varying ages, seven of which are white leghorns, 6 hens and one roo. I love them, they are beautiful, great egg layers (the eggs are maybe a little on the small side though) and the best foragers when free ranging than any of my other birds. They are the first out the door in the morning and the last back in. They are flighty and can fly well, I love those attributes in birds that free range, I think they stay safer as they are cautious and can get away fast! They are fairly small so not good for much more than broth and a little sandwich meat if you end up with extra roos you would like to process. Mine started laying last February, and layed an egg every day until recently, they are all molting and look very sad
sad.png
Still getting some eggs from them though. Mine would not make good pets but I never handled them very much. I am of the belief that you can make almost any breed of chicken pet like if you spend enough time with them. Mine also have huge, floppy combs, so might be prone to frostbite if the weather gets too cold in the winter. We had a couple of days last winter that got down to 7 degrees (unusual for Oregon) and they did not have any problem with no help from me (you can put vaseline on their combs to help prevent the problem), living in a fairly open but fully sheltered, non insulated/non heated coop and free ranging all daylight hours year round. Hope this helps!

My silver leghorn hen is very aggressive to my other hens. When she wants "her" nesting box she has pulled another hen out of the box by her comb and has bloodied the more docile hen's face.. Plucky (the leghorn) lays regularly, free ranges, flies and is very beautiful. However, I would not get another because of her aggressiveness!

Back
Top Bottom