Leghorns Genetics Question?

Mourningdove

Songster
11 Years
Dec 17, 2008
Cleveland, Tn.
Hello everyone! I haven't been online on backyard much as hubby and I have been rebuilding and enlarging coups, runs ect...
I have also been dealing with new chicks and family matters.
This past January I received the surprise pullet special from Ideal and I love those birds! In that shipment I got 4 light brown leghorn
pullets and have since bought them a rooster and they are separated from the rest of my breeds. Now on Nov.13th I received my 2nd
batch of surprise pullets and in this batch is 5 ideal 236 white leghorns.
Now here is my question....I plan to put the white leghorns in the brown leghorn pen when they get grown, what will the cross of white leghorn hen X brown leghorn rooster make? Will they just be mutts? Or will they be a specific breed type?
Thanks for the genetics question help!

They would be mutts.....But if you need a white leghorn rooster by chance, I do have a few extras of those. Love my leghorns. They are such good egg producers and so gentle.

Have a blessed Thanksgiving.

No, they will be leghorns, just not recognized colors. If you breeds a fawn great dane to black dane, the pups are still great danes, they are just brindle danes (a recognized variety, but you get the point).

Quote:
Thank you very much for your reply, I was hoping they would produce cool looking chicks! Oh well I will still keep em!
Have a wonderful blessed thanksgiving yourself!

What you will get will be white birds. The females will be white or white leaking some black. The males will be white but may show some red color on the back. As the males get older they will show more red color. If you cross a male offspring with the light brown hens and hatch enough birds you will get some red pyle, golden duckwing males, silver females and more light brown males and females. They may not be great red pyle but they will be red pyle . You will also get some more white birds but they will leak some black.

Tim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom