Leghorns not laying... how long is normal

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by megsypegsypooh, Nov 17, 2014.

1. megsypegsypooh

megsypegsypooh New Egg

Nov 17, 2014
    Hi am very new to this, we got 2 brown leghorns 3 weeks ago. They are 8 months old and were laying for a week and now both stopped , it's been a week maybe 10 days. They were introduced to two other hens and have been a little stressed. I am wondering how long it is normal for them to go off the lay??

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Since they are going through a stressful time, they won't lay until things calm down again. I introduced new chickens to my flock this year and the hens stopped laying for about a month. Once they get settled down, the eggs should return to the nest boxes. In the meantime, make sure they have food, water, calcium and plenty of room an boredom busters.

Good luck!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Are the new hens fighting with the older ones? This would be a source of stress also. j[​IMG]

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Any stress in the coop can cause hens to stop laying. So can molting, and the shortening of the days of winter. So make sure nobody is being bullied, you have enough space in your coop, (5 square feet per bird) you have enough nest boxes, (1 box per 3 or 4 hens) 10 square foot per bird in the coop. If you do have any bullies in the coop, you may need to separate them out for a while or use pinless peepers.

Other than aggression, you will need to wait until they calm down, they stop molting or the daylight hours increase.

Good luck and welcome to our flock!

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

7. pfewless

pfewless Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2014
    Welcome to BYC. I have a white leghorn as well. She has not laid an egg for me yet either. I purchased her as a pullet and her molt is over. If you like we can compare notes and wait together. I am in Michigan. I have met all the requited needs she has now I am on to looking into what I can add. She is not my only chicken. Just the only leghorn.

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by