Leghorns pullets not laying, but links are

Quote:
In june I recieved 12 sex links, and 13 white leghorns from "MEYER HATCHERY", if they are not leghorns, I really have issues with "MEYER HATCHERY" (they are supposed to know the difference)

My McMurray Pearl White LHs started laying @ 16 weeks... Not all of them though! I had a couple that didn't start till around 24 weeks and one that was over 30 weeks before she started!
big_smile.png

Quote:
In june I recieved 12 sex links, and 13 white leghorns from "MEYER HATCHERY", if they are not leghorns, I really have issues with "MEYER HATCHERY" (they are supposed to know the difference)

I just looked at Meyer Hatchery's breed list, and assuming your birds are NOT feather legged, and ARE laying brown eggs, then the only possibility is White Rocks: http://www.meyerhatchery.com/productinfo.a5w?session.category=Chickens&grd_prodone_filter=PRODUCT_ID%20%3d%20%27WTR%27

Here's
a link to their White Leghorns: http://www.meyerhatchery.com/produc...hickens&grd_prodone_filter=PRODUCT_ID = 'WTL' Notice the white earlobes, larger comb, and more slender build?

The good news is that White Rocks are still very good egg layers, nearly as good as Sex-Links, certainly worth hanging on to for layers.

Are you able to post pics, or no?

I was thinking the same thing, that they were likely white Plymouth rocks rather than leghorns. And yes, you would think hatcheries would know the difference. Perhaps it was a simple clerical error or something rather than someone at the hatchery not knowing one chick from another. They're only human & those things surely must happen from time to time.

I've dealt with Meyer Hatchery many times. I've purchased black and red sexlinks as well as white leghorns with no issues. I also receive email notices from them regarding specials on their best sellers at various times during the year ie...red sex links, white leghorns, RIR's and BR's. Since thay have an over abundance of these breeds, I see where it could be possible they might have mistakenly shipped white rock chicks instead of leghorns. IMHO, I think the better deal would be the white rocks. The white leghorns tend to "burn out" quicker than the rocks when it comes to egg laying over the long term. But if all you're looking for is color variety, with white eggs, white leghorns are the way to go. As Cowgirl71 stated, white leghorns have white earlobes.

Quote:
I selected white leghorns, because they are the best production layers available.

For the first 18 months Leghorns are definitely the better layers, but if you were to keep the birds for 30 months you'd get more eggs from White Rock hens than you would from White Leghorn hens. Like Dawg said, Leghorns burn out fast. Their first year of production is extremely high, and after that their production becomes poor. Same with the Sex-Links. If you want layers that will do well over a two or three year period, your best choices are Rhode Island Reds, Black Australorps, and White Rocks. If you want fast and furious production for one year, then you want Sex-Links and White Leghorns.

My 2 Leghorns have started laying. Hard to say exactly what age as they were purchased as 5 mo. old from a person with hatchery rainbow pullet package. They did'nt like how well they could fly so I took the pair of em.

If indeed 20 weeks at purchase then:

Foghorn started at 24 weeks, missed 2 days in past 3 weeks and has given me 2 double yolkers that bottomed out my 32 gram scale.

Pastey started at 25 weeks, missed 4 days and her eggs have not gain much in size yet.

Other breeds I raised from chicks already laying:

Black Star (sex-link) started at 23 weeks, gives 7 eggs per 8 days with consistent 26 to 28 grams.

Barred Rock was 23 weeks and outdoes her breed with 8 eggs per 9 days though 21 to 24 grams.
Pot Pie is the family favorite.

RIR (hatchery stock) had her fist egg yesterday at 27 weeks. Slacker!

My black sex links are really good layers never missing a day,I love sex links. my girls were a spring hatch so they are still laying strong.

Back
Top Bottom