leghorns ruined my rhode islands feathers

What is the size of their coup and run as @3KillerBs has asked?
Just posted my reply. Not totally sure but I am comfortable with the size of both. The coop is obviously smaller than the run, but they spend all day in the run until night fall once they put themselves back in and their not able to see very well they calm down. Leghorns are my main issue. I wish to be able to pet them and pick them up the way i do with the rhode islands.

I do my best to provide distractions to keep them from pecking eachother.

Not sure on square footage of both but I am comfortable with the sizes of both. if anything, the coop could be slighly bigger but they dont spend much time there at during the day. They go in and out as they please. Once the sun goes down i shut the door then wake up earliest i can the next day to let them out. I know for sure once daylight comes those dang leghorns will wanna fight. I provide lots of treats and other things to distract them.
`A general rule is about 1 square metre in the coup and 2 square meters in the run for each bird. As well as about 18 cm on the roost per chicken. The more space the better it is for everyone.

Not sure on square footage of both but I am comfortable with the sizes of both.

The Usual Guidelines

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
  • 4 square feet in the coop,
  • 10 square feet in the run,
  • 1 linear foot of roost,
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
Your photo looks like the area is completely unobstructed so that every bird can see every other bird at all times -- which gives low-status birds no means of hiding from dominant birds.

You should read this useful thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Back
Top Bottom