Legislation to improve lives of egg laying hens

Enlighten me on my geography and associations here. How is UK a country? I know England is a country but is it the same as the UK? and what is the difference between great Britain and just Britain?

Basically, you have Scotland, England, and Wales which are countries united into the UK. Ireland was once a part of the union, but was granted independence, with the UK keeping the territory known as Northern Ireland. Britain refers to the large main island, on which Scotland, England and Wales are located. The UK is "a country of countries." To the rest of the world, the UK is considered the "country", but within the UK are the constituent countries.

Saying one is "British" technically could refer to English, Scottish or Welsh, but being as the UK formed more as a result of England grabbing the other two, most people who refer to themselves primarily as "British" are English, while those from Scotland and Wales retain their regional identity. Northern Ireland is rather contentious, and largely divided by religion -- Catholics tend to call themselves Irish or Northern Irish, while Protestants tend to call themselves British (or English, if they or their ancestors are transplants).

This is just the basic understanding that I got. I'm fuzzy on the details, so take it with a grain of salt.

I sense a great hostility in you Chickened with other nations, notably UK, Canada and Mexico. To class these other countries as parasitic I find very offensive. Not a good role model I think!

Don't take him too seriously, newfoundland, the rest of us don't. It's not so much that he has anything against the UK, Canada or Mexico specifically.. but rather everyone and everything that's different from him or outside of his comfort zone.

Not really hostile I just call it as I see it. I am sure they are great countries but due to small natural resource base they need resources more so than larger countries. Parasites are beneficial to the host once understood ...for the most part. Pardon me... it was just a term that came to mind
not to be offensive though.

Canada and Mexico would not have nearly the economy if it were not for America. They also enjoy us as a bordering country, kind of an extension of our border. I do not think they have ever been invaded or bombed either.

The UK enjoys the EU economy also. I must admit though that is probably all they really share.

I sense a great hostility in you Chickened with other nations, notably UK, Canada and Mexico. To class these other countries as parasitic I find very offensive. Not a good role model I think!

And America "would not have nearly the economy" were it not for oil from the Middle East and cheap labor from SE Asia. In today's global economy, no major player is powerful all by itself, so when calling one country a "parasite" because it couldn't be where it was if not for another country, we equally fit the bill.

wink.png

Uh... we have oil we choose to import it about 30% comes from the middle east we actually get most from guess who? Canada our unofficial 51st state. lol. We couldbe self sufficient but choose not to, the UK does not have that option.

http://www.eia.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/company_level_imports/current/import.html

And America "would not have nearly the economy" were it not for oil from the Middle East and cheap labor from SE Asia. In today's global economy, no major player is powerful all by itself, so when calling one country a "parasite" because it couldn't be where it was if not for another country, we equally fit the bill.

wink.png

No I don't think UK does have much oil Chickened. There is some from the North Sea, as well as natural gas. There is however oil in the sea around the Falkland Islands. I will say no more.

Don't take him too seriously, newfoundland, the rest of us don't. It's not so much that he has anything against the UK, Canada or Mexico specifically.. but rather everyone and everything that's different from him or outside of his comfort zone.
And by his 'definition', the US, too, is a 'parasite' - though I would not choose to use the term myself due to offensive connotations.

Yes, unfortunately... we have become that way internally and externally. We import more than we export of a lot of products but they are mostly luxuries. We are becoming a third world country economically but some are slow to realize that. We should not be in the mess we are in and only look to China they have the manufacturing base now and will soon be more powerful economically than us. The only thing keeping us going globally is we control the currency of trade and are the only ones that can print more if needed. As for using the word parasite sometimes knowing what others see you as has a way of motivating change. As usual I use a word in one context and it is used against me. I read where someone lost their job for using the word niggardly (means stingy) when it had or has nothing to do with race. Ignorance was the reason which does not mean stupid but not knowing.

And by his 'definition', the US, too, is a 'parasite' - though I would not choose to use the term myself due to offensive connotations.

Back
Top Bottom