Lemon Blue Cochin?

Mar 31, 2021
Poolville,TX
I have a rooster that I held back to grow out because to me he seemed to be "different" and I wanted to wait and see how he developed. It has now been suggested by a few people that have seen him, that he is a Lemon Blue LF Cochin?
The flock that he was hatched from consists of a blue LF cochin rooster with the majority of the hens being LF splash, blue, black cochin hens, and what I call/consider a LF partridge cochin hen.
Opinions?

I have also attached a picture of his full sibling brother that is a splash, but appears to also have some lemon coloring?
Again, Opinions please?

20230928_190042.jpg
20230928_190037.jpg

20230928_190141.jpg
20230928_190139.jpg

Attachments

• 20230928_190141.jpg
    20230928_190141.jpg
    667.3 KB · Views: 2
You have a nice looking flock. :love
I personally do not want to keep chickens with feathered feet. Those that I did have in the past,,, all have been loosing their toes to fractures, and breakoff. The feathered feet hid the possible overgrown toe nails, and that may have been a contributing factor. :idunno Their feathered feet also were constantly soiled from scratching in soil, and wet mud .

What are your plans with breeding these chickens?? If they come from mixes, they will not breed true, since their genetics have the other strains in them.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

Most likely the first one is a result of the blue cochin male over the partridge female. He is not lemon blue, which is a pure variety that can't easily be recreated with crosses of other varieties. He's pretty, though. I'd just call him a mixed color Cochin.

The splash one may have some gold genetics in his mix as well, or the yellowish color could be the result of sun staining. Difficult to tell. If it's not from staining, then he is a mixed color Cochin as well.

You have a nice looking flock. :love
I personally do not want to keep chickens with feathered feet. Those that I did have in the past,,, all have been loosing their toes to fractures, and breakoff. The feathered feet hid the possible overgrown toe nails, and that may have been a contributing factor. :idunno Their feathered feet also were constantly soiled from scratching in soil, and wet mud .

What are your plans with breeding these chickens?? If they come from mixes, they will not breed true, since their genetics have the other strains in them.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:
Thank you!!
My plan is to keep them and use these gentlemen as future breeders. I raise mostly BBS LF cochins, but have a couple other colored cochin hens so they are all still pure bred LF Cochins. I raise other types of fowl as well, but my main fowl focus is peafowl, so I breed and use these cochins as " egg setters" for my more expensive fowl 😊

Most likely the first one is a result of the blue cochin male over the partridge female. He is not lemon blue, which is a pure variety that can't easily be recreated with crosses of other varieties. He's pretty, though. I'd just call him a mixed color Cochin.

The splash one may have some gold genetics in his mix as well, or the yellowish color could be the result of sun staining. Difficult to tell. If it's not from staining, then he is a mixed color Cochin as well.
Thank you!
I was told there is a way to "create" the lemon blue coloring, but it can be a difficult process. I'm trying to research that now. I raise the cochins for mostly personal use and preference, so breed standard coloring is not my priority. I like them more colorful 😊

Back
Top Bottom