Lemon Blue Wyandottes?

turtleblossom

Songster
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
Kentucky
I was looking through my ABA Standard yesterday, and came across the list of accepted colors. I had no idea that bantam Wy's came in lemon blue!

Is this an accepted color in the LF Wyandotte?

Does anyone know where to get lemon blues, or brown reds?

Does anyone have any pics?
(yes I tried Feathersite)

I now have a burning desire to own some of these!

I have never seen the variates in wyndotte. Good luck finding them.

You will most likely have to out cross to obtain the variety.

Tim

Is there a color variety of barred rock I could cross in?

I know I could just cross in some o' those popular * "lemon blue" cochins I hear about on here, but I simply cannot stand feathered feet! I think they look pretty and all, but I believe that feathered feet are a hinderence in my little soggy patch of Kentucky.

* (note to cochin breeders involved in this project- I know that you are aiming for the lemon blue pattern, but to me the birds I have seen just aren't close enough in pattern to call them lemon blue, yet.)

Actual GENETIC lemon blue DOES breed true.

Unfortunately in this forum some people are calling a buff/blue mixed allele bird lemon blue. It is not correct and causing a LOT of confusion where the actual genotype is concerned.

True Lemon Blue is, as has been noted, a gold birchen (brown red in most breeds) and blue bird. Not SILVER BIRCHEN and blue.

Breeds commonly carrying Brown Red - are Old English Games - LF and Bantam. Some few people hold Birchen Cochins but they are commonly silver birchen.

Black Copper Marans are Brown Reds genetically and called that in the French Standard.

There are already Blue Copper Marans - which would technically BE Lemon Blues in other words.

So Blue Copper Marans to Wyandotte and then cull everything that doesn't fit the standard and that's a VERY straight forward proceedure to Lemon Blue Wyandotte.

Or Brown Red or Lemon Blue Old English Games but you'd lose a ton of body type and carriage among other things.

The other threads discussing buffs to blues indeed do not breed true as too many mixed genotypes are in there. Buff will do that. And it's why I object to using the title or term lemon blue to discuss them.
rant.gif
duc.gif

walkswithdog, thank you for all the info.
I hadn't thought of using a blue copper Marans. But now it almost seems obvious. There is the comb to worry about, but that is easy enough to cull for. Legg color too. But I know many people are mixing their feather legged and clean legged Marans (intentionally or not). How persistant are feathered feet? After all, many very nice quality SLW have stubbs between their toes.
Marans are dual purpos birds too, so they will at least have some heft to them.
But back to color, I am aiming for the birchen based lemon blue, not a mix of buff and blue. And correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that the lemon blues had an inhibiting gene that created the yellow color. So you have 'lemon' blue instead of, say 'copper' blue.
Am I way off here?
And Walkswithdog, I agree about the confusion of color names. It didn't start with the blue/buff cochins and it will certainly not end there.

Darn Henk had some really good information on how and when/why the lemon version of gold birchen color occured and I can't remember what thread it was on... Grrr.

Too many blue and lemon color threads LOL.

As to the feather legged thing when using marans - it'd be a pain but at least it is easy to see when it's there.

You could ask Tadkerson or Henk, I think Sonoran also dabbled in the color.

I have to agree all these blue ,buff mix birds being called lemon blues are getting on my nerves. Its very misleading.

Sorry I was no help just wanted to say that.

Back
Top Bottom