Lemon Cuckoo Orpington Projects...

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Fluffy Feather Farm
12 Years
Jan 26, 2010
Texas, Panhandle
Currently I have 4 LCOs (Lemon Cuckoo Orpingtons). Two males and 2 females. Both my LCO pullets are pure Lemons and aren't split so I was going to put them with my oldest rooster. That leaves my youngest LCO boy out, so I put three of my Jody Hinkle Buffs in with them so I can have some splits. But here is my question. My friend that I bought them from offered to give me as many LCO boys as I want as he has too many. I would take them, if not purely for lawn decor but is there anything else I could do with them? I have Easter Eggers, Olive Eggers, Black/Splash Jersey Giants, Lavender and Splash Bantam Cochins, Coronation/Light Sussex, Bantam Orpingtons in White, Black, Blue, and Splash, Seramas, Black Aussies, LF Black Orpingtons....and maybe some others that I can't think of right now. Could I do anything interesting with them? Thanks for any ideas.
smile.png

~Aspen

I am not sure what else you could do with them that would not take several generations to get a worthy goal achieved. IF I was you, your idea of using a quality Buff hen to take to both your males will be a project in itself. To better the quality you should focus on hatching as many as you can raise. Then come later in the year cull back to 2 or 3 trios. I have 3 Buff pens. And only try to keep those with the broadest heads, broadest chests and broadest backs. And IF you like to have Buffs keep a trio or two of pure Buffs. You can show the Buffs and gain alot of enjoyment from learning by showing.
The Cuckoos are just now becoming more and more available. You would do better getting a pure Cuckoo to play with far as others varieties to play with and make.

Last edited:
lildinkem - I think my Buffs are laying, but unsure as they may have been stressed out from the move. As soon as my Lemon girls begin to lay I'd like to separate my two trios off so I know which ones are the pure Lemons and the splits. How long would I have to keep them juvies I hatch from the spilts until I see which are the best? Also, when you cull do you just chop off their heads, of do you try and sell or give away the 'non-worthy' ones? Thank you bunches for you advice!
thumbsup.gif

ChickensAreSweet - That is what I'm thinking sweet stuff!!
big_smile.png

~Aspen

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

lildinkem - I think my Buffs are laying, but unsure as they may have been stressed out from the move. As soon as my Lemon girls begin to lay I'd like to separate my two trios off so I know which ones are the pure Lemons and the splits. How long would I have to keep them juvies I hatch from the spilts until I see which are the best? Also, when you cull do you just chop off their heads, of do you try and sell or give away the 'non-worthy' ones? Thank you bunches for you advice!
thumbsup.gif

ChickensAreSweet - That is what I'm thinking sweet stuff!!
big_smile.png

~Aspen

You can always place a pullet. I use a hand held sledge for the males. Today I shot three males with a .22. I do not like to do it. But it is a fact of poultry.
I can safely say by 9 or 10 months you should see enough to know.​

Quote:
You can always place a pullet. I use a hand held sledge for the males. Today I shot three males with a .22. I do not like to do it. But it is a fact of poultry.
I can safely say by 9 or 10 months you should see enough to know.

I don't think I could do that, so I will probably just try and give away or sell the 'culls'. Hoping the Lemon Cuckoo girls start to lay soon so I can put my plans into action!

~Aspen

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Quote:
I can safely say by 9 or 10 months you should see enough to know.

I don't think I could do that, so I will probably just try and give away or sell the 'culls'. Hoping the Lemon Cuckoo girls start to lay soon so I can put my plans into action!

~Aspen​

I don't enjoy it either. You get to a point where very few want the boys. I MAY sell to 5 or so folks a year a male. The rest just want them for eggs.. Fegs care for anything else.

Quote:

~Aspen

I don't enjoy it either. You get to a point where very few want the boys. I MAY sell to 5 or so folks a year a male. The rest just want them for eggs.. Fegs care for anything else.

That is true. Not when I cross my Lemon boy with the Buff Orp hens they will be splits. When the chicks from they grow up and start to lay what do I cross them with?

~Aspen

Back
Top Bottom