Lemon-Drop's Gardening Adventure

Yesterday I finished the raised garden bed. It is 2' by 4', 16" tall. I set it down, then laid a little bit of straw, then layered manure mix and raised bed soil. Also put 2, 10' PVC pipes in a round-ish frame above to put some bird netting on top to protect the plants. I still need to zip tie the netting on though.

Yesterday I also bought a strawberry pot and planted some strawberry plants in it. It is made of terracotta, so I will have to water it often.

I will try and post pictures sometime in the next few days!

Just a word of warning... Nobody talks about garden math. It can become a "thing" too. :gig
Oh, so true! Every year I tell myself that I do NOT need 3 rows of turnips, and yet... I end up with too many turnips (and then out of necessity, I have "turnip week(s)" where all the meals include turnips in some fashion). They're too easy to grow so I go overboard. :(

... I have 2 half-rows already planted this year, sigh.

Previous years I went too crazy with carrots (harvested 11 lbs the previous December right before snow came), wax and green beans (7 lbs in the freezer), collards (who is going to eat 12 large collard plants!?) If I had a large family then it'd be no problem, but it's just 2 adults here.

Well, nothing much today.... however, the cucumber seeds finally sprouted! I was outside most of the day (this morning I had checked on them, nothing) and now there are at least 7 little sprouts have poked out of the little pots! It's to bad I won't be able to post the time-lapse... I don't have YouTube or any other social media networks besides BYC, and I don't really feel like creating an account. But I will post pictures in about 3 days!

On another note, I am going on a trip for a while, and I was wondering if a water drip irrigation system would be worth investing in. I found one on Amazon that's about 30$, with 5 stars. Also thinking about a automatic timer.

Oh, so true! Every year I tell myself that I do NOT need 3 rows of turnips, and yet... I end up with too many turnips (and then out of necessity, I have "turnip week(s)" where all the meals include turnips in some fashion). They're too easy to grow so I go overboard. :(

... I have 2 half-rows already planted this year, sigh.

Previous years I went too crazy with carrots (harvested 11 lbs the previous December right before snow came), wax and green beans (7 lbs in the freezer), collards (who is going to eat 12 large collard plants!?) If I had a large family then it'd be no problem, but it's just 2 adults here.
Hmm believe it or not I still have some redcurrants from last year in the freezer. Been meaning to turn them into a crumble but just never found the time but they need to go before this years harvest. Some might say they've probably gone off by now but fruit lasts for a long timein the freezer, might be on the verge but will be lovely in a crumble.

Ok, finally time for a few pictures! First, the main garden bed.
A6EF6684-3DFD-4803-90E2-2A6488E3557E.jpeg

And a few of the plants
419B6B33-603B-47C0-9033-96D7DB66D4D6.jpeg
B18F9AFA-2B6B-4340-B89A-F176F174592E.jpeg

27E7D56C-FF2F-44A7-B9DF-5CBA5A5FF4CA.jpeg

The smaller garden bed I built by myself. It’s covered in bird netting to keep chickens and other animals out. There is an opening held together by a bungee cord. It’s not very precise of even... someone told me it looked like a covered wagon. :rolleyes:
E84DA8D2-238F-43DC-9BB4-E94546319BA1.jpeg
A0B483AC-DDCE-46B1-970C-2329BE2E2678.jpeg

The potato bags. There are 5 total, 4 green ones and 1 burlap sack. (Don’t mind the tarp.
8156F90D-6347-451A-B136-B636BC30E171.jpeg

The little seedlings
image.jpg

And the strawberry pot
image.jpg

Attachments

• A53CB88D-6C3E-4FAC-B07B-1E59C698C4B3.jpeg
    A53CB88D-6C3E-4FAC-B07B-1E59C698C4B3.jpeg
    606.2 KB · Views: 4
I like your wagon look. But it seems to be in a lot of direct light which is fine for some plants but vegetables like some shade or they fry too much. Luckily veg is plentiful and cheap in shops because they can be a burden to grow. I prefer cherry trees and blueberry bushes which regrow every year and are very low maintenance.
Strawberries are great too but they like a bit of shade like the left plot is getting. I find it challenging to grow things in full sun, strawberries and fruit bushes/trees are what work for me, veg goes on the shady borders if I can be bothered for a few carrots. I think I will go with growing some sunflower seeds this year, they are easy and sunflower seeds are expensive. I find I need to pay attention to what survives long term at mine, like strawberries in pots are nice but long term they only survive in the ground cause I forget to water them ;)

Back
Top Bottom