1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lemon Pyle Brahma sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by macgro7, Oct 10, 2013.

1. macgro7

macgro7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi I bought two lemon pyle brahmas this Tuesday (btw I read on here yeasterday that you don't have that colour of brahma in the US). I chose ones with the smallest crest, but I'm still not sure about their gender.
    I'm not sure about their age. I assume about two months, but its only a guess. They are about the size (or slightly bigger) than my silkie hens.
    Can you have a look and tell me what you think?
    [​IMG]
    Tha smaller one:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The bigger one (it's got some tail feathers missing, as you can see):
    [​IMG]

2. Aaisha

Aaisha Chillin' With My Peeps

if they are two mnths, then i say both pullets

3. macgro7

I hope so... otherwise they will not be able to stay here [​IMG]

2 months is only my assumption based on their size. Beeing naturally large breed they might be younger.

Abdulmajeed

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  4. Aaisha

Aaisha Chillin' With My Peeps

they combs are too small for roosters of 2 mnths, and also i dont see pointed hackle feathers or saddle feathers.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I hope they turn out to be girls. In many areas of this country, rooster's aren't allowed either. Many are looking for homes - it's sad!

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think the first one looks male. I think I'm seeing three rows on the pea comb, which means male. I also think I can see darker shading on the wing, another male characteristic.

would need a good comb shot for the second bird.

7. macgro7

The comb picture is actually from the second one.
    They both have three rows on the comb :-(

8. macgro7

I live in a terraced city house :-/

Theoretically you're allowed to have a cock in English city, and no one can do anything to you if you have one... as long as he doesn't make noise at night (between 10pm and 6am I think).
    Which means in practice you cannot have a cockerell in any urban or suburban garden :-(

I had one only for a week. Fantastic alarm clock! Unfortunatelly most of our neighbours hated being woken up at 4-5 am.

This is the reason why I can't keep these two lovely brahmas if they are boys.

Could someone show me clear photos of brahma cockerels and pullets of various ages? I found some pics in these threads:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/481815/need-help-sexing-11-brahma-chicks
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/287181/sexing-the-brahma-breed-standard-size-light-brahma (these pics are a bit better)
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/334505/light-brahma-sexing
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-sexing-my-3-light-brahma-chicks-lots-of-pics

But I think my brahmas are older than those on the pics. I have no idea how old they are as I bought them on auction at the livestock market.
    Shall I post some pics while I handle them so you have an idea how big they are? that way you can determine their age, hopefully. I never had brahmas before and I know they grow a lot faster and bigger than my other chickens which I had since chicks - Ko Shamo, which started crowing at around 4 months (last week), while being size of 2 weeks old broiler hahaha

I really hope those yellow brahmas are females. They're too nice to be eaten [​IMG]

9. Woob Woob Woob

Woob Woob Woob Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2015
    Any updated photos?

10. macgro7

Sorry... I sold them...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by