Lemon Splash Bantam Cochins

I love them! Annie’s eggs haven’t been fertilized, so I am going to have to try AI this weekend. Never thought I’d ever hear myself say that! They’re 11 months old. ❤️

Attachments

• CB384D0C-103B-4EA0-8529-352E7E7B0AAF.jpeg
    CB384D0C-103B-4EA0-8529-352E7E7B0AAF.jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 14
  • CB421189-CE8E-4C34-88FD-99E7077F4546.jpeg
    CB421189-CE8E-4C34-88FD-99E7077F4546.jpeg
    195.8 KB · Views: 15
@Serama_Mama92 has two pairs Of Lemon Blue Cochin Bantams. I think they are going on five months old. The cockerels are interested in breeding, the pullets are not.

Is anyone breeding Lemon Splash Bantam Cochins? I am and wondering if anyone else is too, especially creating a proposed standard.

I believe Splash is only show-able in APA sanctioned shows in the AOV (All other Variety) class. They can place there, but not advance. The reason behind that is the Splash color in chickens is highly variable and inconsistent. It is very hard to make a SOP for a color that shifts from bird to bird.

Aww man...mine are lemon splash, not lemon blue. But I love lemon blues as well!

Lemon Blue would produce Lemon Splash like any other Andalusian-blue birds. Unless I'm misunderstanding and Lemon Splash is actually Lemon Lavender (Self-Blue)?

Lemon Blue would produce Lemon Splash like any other Andalusian-blue birds. Unless I'm misunderstanding and Lemon Splash is actually Lemon Lavender (Self-Blue)?
[/QUOTE]

lemon splash bred to Brown Red will produce 100% lemon blue, but like any splash, they will only produce lemon splash when bred together.

lemon splash bred to Brown Red will produce 100% lemon blue, but like any splash, they will only produce lemon splash when bred together.

That makes sense. With non-standard colors people come up with all kinds of names. I assumed that Splash had two copies of the blue gene, but wanted to be sure. ;)

Back
Top Bottom