Lending Chickens

he doesnt know a lot about chickens other than they are birds and they lay eggs. I'll figure more out later with him next time he comes over.
I see why its tricky. You want to respect your elder but you know what he’s demanding isn’t the correct thing.

I think you can both be respectful and stand your ground and not sacrifice one for the other.

If his chickens are sickly, yours need to stay away as a top priority.

i separated my three SLW hens and the rooster just now. I think what i'll do is he can stop by and pick up eggs if he wants them.

Sounds like you got the right plan. If he gets pushy about having the hens I don’t think its disrespectful to tell him that you don’t want to risk different populations of chickens mixing and spreading diseases, and that you need to carefully control the breeding to ensure he gets the pure SLW he wants.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you're an awesome teen for evening considering the health of your flock. That rules! I think that you can come to him with facts - it's not safe to mix flocks, nutrient deficiencies if on different feed will affect the eggs, and you need more weeks for purebred. Offer a solution (you give him fertilized eggs). Maybe he will glean some info from you, but sometimes old grumpy folks can be stuck in their ways, even if their way is not right nor good for the animals. Just lead by example as much as you can, and be an advocate for your birds.

yeah, i'll say that is exactly where i am. He's kind of a grumpy person and im generally a tad scared of him. I need to refuse him though😣
We gave him 6 hens and a rooster years ago so we could make the move here and the rooster got aggressive so he shot it...without telling me first. I hate giving him more chickens even in egg form but i feel that refusing the hens is already a lot.
Just separate your gals for a while, then collect infertile eggs for him. Continue to do this until he no longer asks. You can feign a I don't know attitude. I would not give chickens, chicks or potential chicks to someone I know will not care for even their basic needs like nutrition. My daughter wants chicks for her family. They have a labodoodle (sp?) who is uncontrollable. I have told her I think her dog will kill them and offered to let her bring the dog down so they can train her to ignore chickens. They are not interested in doing that, so no chickens from me.

Maybe offer your grandpa some homemade courses on chicken nutrition??? He probably won't listen, but you can make the offer.

yeah, i'll say that is exactly where i am. He's kind of a grumpy person and im generally a tad scared of him. I need to refuse him though😣
We gave him 6 hens and a rooster years ago so we could make the move here and the rooster got aggressive so he shot it...without telling me first. I hate giving him more chickens even in egg form but i feel that refusing the hens is already a lot.
DO NOT GIVE HIM ANYTHING! That is a horrible thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom