Lending Chickens

That stinks you are between a rock and a hard place
yeah, i'll say that is exactly where i am. He's kind of a grumpy person and im generally a tad scared of him. I need to refuse him though😣
We gave him 6 hens and a rooster years ago so we could make the move here and the rooster got aggressive so he shot it...without telling me first. I hate giving him more chickens even in egg form but i feel that refusing the hens is already a lot.

I'm confused at why the idea of lending him your birds came up if what he wants are eggs? If he wants pure SLW eggs and your willing to give them to him then the plans need to be about how you set up to keep the girls with the correct rooster for a few weeks, and then after that collect the eggs for him.
i have a smaller coop that we used in integrate pullets last year and a length of electric fence so that's what i think i'll do.

feel that refusing the hens is already a lot.
It's really not. Tell him plain and simple that you're only thinking about your flock and that you don't want to risk them getting sick from something his birds might be hiding that they tolerate better than yours would

I don't know what anyone has said to you IRL, but you should know that no one in life should make you feel that you can't say no when something is not in your best interest. And agonizing over the fate of your animals is no small or pleasant thing. Been there.
Treat this as practice standing up to people. Because there will be more like him. And if it's getting too hard, recruit someone to help you.

It doesn’t make sense to me why he’d want to borrow them for a week. Supposing he wants to cross them or a particular roo, a week isn’t enough time to get them producing a lot fertile eggs only off of his roo. And that’s assuming that’s what he wants, because I can’t think of any other reason to borrow hens for a week.

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn’t make sense to me why he’d want to borrow them for a week. Supposing he wants to cross them or a particular roo, a week isn’t enough time to get them producing a lot fertile eggs only off of his roo. And that’s assuming that’s what he wants, because I can’t think of any other reason to borrow hens for a week.
he doesnt know a lot about chickens other than they are birds and they lay eggs. I'll figure more out later with him next time he comes over.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom