1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Leonbergers anyone?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ozark hen, Jan 1, 2013.

1. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    My dh bought me my dream dog...a Leonberger. Holly is now 9 months old and weighed in at 91# a month ago. She is a blonde sable. She is amazing. I never dreamed I would ever have one [​IMG] Does anyone else own one?
    she was my Christmas gift and he got her for me on November 28 from Joplin kennel.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  2. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    They are such beautiful dogs!
    A friends negihbor has one so I have only seen one from 300 feet away. lol
    Good luck with your new BFF!

3. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    thank you [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Coppertop

Coppertop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2013
    Hubby and I are getting one this summer!

5. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Really? That is awesome! Be sure to post pics so I can see it. [​IMG]

6. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Well I have to say Holly is settled in very nicely now. She loves to take our shoes out the doggy door and chew them up [​IMG] We have to try to remember to hide our shoes if they are off our feet. She loves the doggy door(it is large enough for her or a human to come through) We never had to housebreak her as it came naturally to her!! Amazing us but I am very grateful. lol She learned to sit immediately but we can't seem to get her to lead on a leash?? Any suggestions? Treats don't work as she is very careful when taking a treat...she mouths it after smelling it and usually spits it out and looks at it again before eating it. She is quite entertaining. She absolutely loves chasing the cats but won't hurt them though they have sliced her nose many a time. She charges the chicken run as she loves to see the birds freak out. She is quite a handful I must say but love her to death. I have now learned what the term, "blowing out" means......whew never saw so much hair. [​IMG]

7. Coppertop

Apr 10, 2013
    [​IMG]

I don't know which is our little girl yet, they are only a few days old. I'm so excited!

8. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Beauties. I was going to ask which color you were getting till I saw the pic lol Be sure to keep us posted

9. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    I saw one once from about 1/4 mile away - he looked huge, beautiful, and red.

10. Coppertop

Apr 10, 2013
    They're all born dark but mum is yellow and dad is reddish yellow so hopefully we'll have a nice pale yellow girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by