1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Less eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by penneypep, Sep 19, 2012.

1. penneypep

penneypep Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2012
    Hello
    I live in Sacramento California, its by no means cold yet. 90's in the daytime 60's at night this week dropping to 80's. But this is my first fall with chickens. This last week they dropped of laying. I have10 layers and was getting 10 or 11 eggs a day now they are down to 4 maybe 5. Any insight here for me ?
    Really appreciate it !
    Penney

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    The days are getting shorter and it's molting season. Egg laying will drop off during wither of these times.

3. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    If you want to keep egg numbers up, you will have to put a light on 14 hours or so a day. If you don't use a light, the numbers will definitely drop off. Since you say this is your first fall with chickens, I'm assuming molt is not the problem.

4. cheri87

cheri87 New Egg

Jan 18, 2011
    I'm having the same problem up here in SW Washington. We have 4 two year old hens and we usually had 2-3 eggs per day this summer until Labor Day. That was when we collected our last single egg (after being gone for 3 days over the weekend). We have 2 buff Orpingtons that are obviously molting AGAIN (already did this in the spring) and 2 RIR's that have big, red combs and waddles but still no eggs. They even sit int he nesting box but run out of the coop after an hour leaving an empty pile of straw. It has been very dry and warm up here: we're gong on 2 months of no rain. They have had the same food for over a year and have 4 separate water sources so they always have water. Wondering if it's a combination of heat and feeling bad for their half naked yellow sisters?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by