1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Less food waste!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kareninthesun, Feb 16, 2012.

1. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    I've been filling the feeder to the top, and the silly hens are treating this like a wonderful version of Costco samples, meandering through, tossing out much of what they need in searching for their favorites. I was wasting soooooo much feed, just trashed. Not fun with the expense of feed now. So, now I put in only as much as I know they will eat in the morning, early afternoon, then refill with just enough for them to eat until the end of the day. I provide healthy treats durning the day also, fruits and veggies they like. What I'm discovering is that they are actually eatting less, foraging more for fresh bugs. I am careful to make sure that their feeder is never empty of course. Now they pick through, but without more feed sifting down, they also eat the rest of the food, just desert first!

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Glad you found your way to not wasting feed. I never fill my trough to the brim. The closer the feed is to the top of the feeder tray, dish or trough the easier it is for the chickens to toss it out just by the simple act of eating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by