Less Garage and More Coop (pic heavy)

I think you may be an engineering genius! Love your designs.

I also live in Middle Tennessee and something (a weasel, I think) just got my entire flock after 10 years of zero problems. So here's my question - it appears the weasel dug in. Are you building any safeguards against tunneling in your outdoor runs? If so, what? I may end up having to completely rebuild and you seem to be the go-to guy for great ideas!
Sorry for taking so long to get back. I haven't had any weasel problems but the neighbors dogs have had me in a pickle here lately. I secure the chickens up at night and i'm always around generally during the day and always have a firearm close by. I have had to fence in the whole back yard so the coops and runs have been put on hold, but I will resume construction inside the garage this winter.

Nice idea to use the space you have.

Two suggestions or questions.
Is the coop and run tall enough to get around?
You may or will have to go in there and chase sick or injured birds.

Are you prepared for the dust?
Bird dander and dust from the bedding is very light and will get everywhere.
The coop is plenty tall enough I can actually go inside and shovel them out. The dust is not really a problem I use the garage mostly as a workshop I am always building something and have never parked my vehicles inside. I do plan on building a small office inside that will be heated and cooled for hatching and things of that nature.

this is a great idea. We have almost identical set up with coops built in our barn, we don't have outside runs though because it is thick cement (although after showing my dad your run design he claims we can cut through the cement 'easily'
roll.png
haha)
Anyways kudos on the great design and set up, it has served us well so far, hopefully the same for you!

Back
Top Bottom