Lesson Learned! Never, ever, ever…

goldeneggtees

Fluffy Butt Nut
10 Years
Mar 11, 2009
Long Island, NY
let your hens into the veggie garden. It was my fault, I left the gate open behind me. Well, one snuck in so I figured she looked so cute and happy, why not let them all in for at least a few minutes! Well, within maybe 1 minutes time, they had gotten my very first ripe tomato, and completely trampled my parsley. My husband and I worked so hard on our first garden in our new home, rototilling the soil by hand, and building a chicken proof fence. I didn't believe they could do so much damage within such a short time. Silly me. But, I did get a few bites of the tomato for myself before they finished off the rest.
barnie.gif
th.gif

yuckyuck.gif
The funny thing is that I can imagine thinking the same thing and coming up with the same results. Hopefully the parsley will spring back and now you are going to have to be so vigilant on that gate!

I KNOW!!!

My chickens devoured a large urn of flowers at my back door last weekend in the time it took me to get a glass of water. I told my husband that I imagined it like the cartoon where you turn your back, hear a chainsaw-sort-of-sound and then look to see that all the plants are leveled. All that was left were some scraps on the patio. Ugh! They're fast when they're being covert...

Sorry to hear about your first tomato. Luckily there will certainly be more to come. Now close that gate!!

OMG! Your flowers, now that's where I would draw the line! Who do they think they are anyway?
big_smile.png

The funny part is that I was on the phone with my mom when I let them in there (she has zero chicken keeping experience) and she said "are you crazy - get them outta there before your hubby finds out!" I'm like - "they'll be fine for only few minutes…" WRONG!!!!

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom