Lessons learned in my battle with mites

No. It's confusing because they both have the brand name Ivomec on the package.
Eprinex is Eprinomectin.
Ivomec is Ivermectin.

Both are pour ons, but different chemicals.

LOL

One is administered by injection, and one is administered topically. Ivomec used for injection is administered off label, given orally by some people owning avian species. They are both of the same chemical family of avermectins, but formulated differently. In my experiences using both, neither are effective against endoparasites or ectoparasites on poultry.

Last edited:
The ivermectin pour on has a 2 week withdrawal period, The eprinex doesnt have a withdrawal period. It's a little more expensive than the ivermectin pour on. You can purchase it in a 250ml bottle and has about a 2 year expiration date. Dosage is 1/2cc placed on bare skin on the back of the neck on standard size birds, 1/4cc for smaller birds. It takes a second or two longer to be absorbed through the skin into the bloodstream than the ivermectin pour on. Either will kill mites.
http://www.jefferspet.com/products/eprinex-pour-on
http://www.jefferspet.com/products/ivomec-pour-on

One is administered by injection, and one is administered topically. Ivomec used for injection is administered off label, given orally by some people owning avian species. They are both of the same chemical family of avermectins, but formulated differently. In my experiences using both, neither are effective against endoparasites or ectoparasites on poultry.
Both products linked are pour ons.....tho I do know that ivermectin is available in an injectable.

I've tried everything too for the mites on my chickens, and the most effective applications I've found to help control the mites are sulphur dips (in the summer) as well as putting Vaseline and olive oil on their legs, toes (rub it in well, a chicken pedicure!) and Vaseline on affected areas of skin and even directly on the feathers. Knocks the problem down some, and it needs to be done 2-3 times per week.

As previously mentioned Eprinex and Ivomec are in the same family and manufactured by Merck, but are two different compounds and we have found that neither is particularly successful either. The only product that works for us is Frontline Spray for dogs and cats. I feel, and my suspicions have been corroborated by others, that some birds, particularly cock birds, have a different body chemistry and are more susceptible than others. Therefore, you can treat the more susceptible cocks and keep the mites under control without worrying about the eggs.

I had my first experience with mites all last summer on only 2 out of my 6 hens. I tried all the usual remedies to no avail. With winter approaching I was afraid these 2 bare girls would freeze. Then Big R started carrying Nutrena Feather Fixer which has a mite repellant in it. After a month on it, I could see new feathers growing and now they are once again fully feathered beautiful Barred Rocks. The whole flock looks great in fact. This is the only feed I will use from now on. Also when I clean out the coop in the spring I will spray with Sevin just to be safe. Hopefully I've seen the last of the mites.

I battled mites on my flock for months. Tried everything. Found a product that is expensive but got rid of all the mites with one application to the vent. It's safe, too.

http://www.elanco.us/products-services/poultry/controlling-houseflies-darkling-beetles.aspx

It is expensive, but it absolutely works. I'll gladly buy this product to save all the time & expense of everything else that I tried. I did also spray down the roosts, nest boxes & coops. Here is the least expensive place to buy it. The retailer does not have the new label. It is safe for use on chickens.

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail....=86672329123&gclid=CKLn3-ThlMMCFQNrfgodzxkASA

I did find one other product that worked. Frontline spray (fipronil) also killed the mites with one application. However, I only used it on one rooster, to test it. Since I eat my chickens and their eggs, this is not a safe product to use. There is no data on it's withdrawal time. The Elector psp has no withdrawal time for meat and eggs.

Just from curiosity, could I ask:

-What kind of litter are you using in your coop?
-Do you have a dirt floor under the litter ... or what kind of floor in the coop under the litter?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom