Let em rest, or put em in?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Dingo, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay my eggs are supposed to be here tomorrow or Saturday, I know people say to let chicken eggs rest for a little while after shipping. Should I do the same with the coturnix eggs? If so how long?
    Thanks

2. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    I would for about 12hrs or so. I've never done shipped eggs before so maybe I'm wrong and somebody else will chime in.

3. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    i've heard some people say they let them rest for up to 24 hours.

4. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    If it is hot, I put them right in. If not, I wait about 12 hours. But I am new with quail, maybe the experts will chime in;-)

5. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    Well I've hatched quail but never shipped eggs so.... maybe a coin toss is in order lol. Where are the vets?

6. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Set them in the bator and wait a few hours. Then just plug them in. [​IMG]

7. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

It's pretty chilly outside today(60's). I guess the concensus is let them rest for about 12 hours. I'll let them come to room temp, then after about 6 hours put them ontop of the incubator, then after another 6 hours put them inside the incubator. does that sound good?

8. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    What has been really working is setting them in the incubator because you don't know what the postal service does with the eggs. But don't turn them for 12-24 hours so they can settle. This is for the hot months. For cooler months, let them settle than put them in the incubator. I learned this method this year and it has worked amazingly.

9. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:Hi Quaillady,
    is this with the incubator warmed and ready? I'm new, and will be getting my first order of mail eggs (from you) , and want to make sure i'm ready for them!

Put them in with it at the perfect temp and humidity, and not turn for 12-24 hrs. ?

Sorry if it seems like a dumb question, or repeated, but after reading here for awhile, things start to get jumbled . [​IMG]

10. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Yes, with the incubator all warmed up and ready [​IMG] I should have emphasized that [​IMG] Just no turning for 12-24 hours, heat all nice and toasty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by