Let it RAIN......

Forgot to add right now lite snow is falling!! It's Mar13th
ep.gif
... no garden right now for me
hit.gif
*sigh*
barnie.gif

I think the rain is done today. Now for some sunshine so my chickens yard can dry out. Funny thing, I have not had to give my chickens water the last few days.

That rain was great. It was just what we needed. We took the time in between it and did some much needed dirt work. Our topsoil was gone in a few places. So 150-40lb bags of topsoil, 2 bags of seed, and 11 bags of manure later we have a start of getting some grass to grow. Thankfully the rain settled the sandy type soil down so we weren't breathing dust the whole time. So now I'm gonna head out and water the seed again. Thankfully we have a well.

Quote:
well the ground is still wet. tehe! i was looking forward to rain. i thought my water hose was going to dry up too!

Quote:
I just got some dirt spread out in the yard, it actually started raining on me while spreading it. We can get 12 yards of topsoil here in Houston for $40 plus $30 for delivery.

After the four days and nights of slow rain, we now have a gloriously sunny day that is supposed to warm up to over 70 degrees! And up to 80 Tuesday and Wednesday!!! That should dry up the mud puddles the chickens are wading through and by the weekend I'll have to mow the grass.
roll.png
Well, it's worth it. Asparagus and carrots are beginning to show and we can almost see the onions moving upward. They doubled in height this past week! Isn't Spring wonderful? (I know. I know. It will be cold again by next week probably.) Everything is leafing out, except the bois d'arc.

I'm right there with ya. We just planted 3 new apples and they're just getting their leaves so the rain has been great! My baby crabapple that we got from the National Harbor Society (which has made it to a total of 18 inches tall
roll.png
) is also enjoying the rain. My whole yard is mushy but i don't mind too much and neither do the ducks.
cool.png

Ducks would love my place right now. Have heavy clay soil, so the water just sits on top. Too many tree roots to till in amendments. Just have to hand dig and add a little at a time. The bright side is that since getting chickens two years ago (and rabbits last year) there is a noticable difference where I've been composting the shavings from the coop, etc. Not nearly so difficult to dig the clay for turning over and not as much "amendments" needed. Just need a few days sunshine and then more slow rain, as we're still behind the average rainfall for this time of the year.

Back
Top Bottom