Let me introduce myself...

JulieRomero04

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2018
Miami, FL
My name is Julie and my fiancé, Alex and I just recently became the proud parents of 2 beautiful adult silkies (1 female and 1 male). I have a lot to learn but I love my silkies so much, I want more so I’ve started putting my incubator together and I’m ready to start hatching chicks! But I need soo much guidance. I was fiddling online and found this awesome forum!

Silkies are probably one of the best "broody" breeds you could have. They aren't the greatest layers. In fact they may lay a few eggs and then go "broody." That's a term that means they will want to sit on and hatch their eggs. The tend to be excellent mothers. Sometimes a rooster will even help out and keep eggs warm while momma has a time out to stretch her legs, eat, drink and use the bathroom( ha).

Silkies are probably one of the best "broody" breeds you could have. They aren't the greatest layers. In fact they may lay a few eggs and then go "broody." That's a term that means they will want to sit on and hatch their eggs. The tend to be excellent mothers. Sometimes a rooster will even help out and keep eggs warm while momma has a time out to stretch her legs, eat, drink and use the bathroom( ha).
Yes, that’s what I hear but she’s not sitting. She’s layed almost 20 eggs and no brooding. I didn’t want to waste them so I’m going to incubate them for now until she’s ready to do her thing on her own. Every once in a while she fakes me out and i think she’s ready and then a couple hours later i see her out and about no longer sitting until bed time comes around again. I’m not sure if it’s because she’s in a new home or what. We’ve had them for about 6-7 weeks now.

I just don’t have the heart to let the eggs waist so I’m going to incubate until she’s ready to take over. :)

Back
Top Bottom