Let me see your fodder/sprout systems!

following :D i have been wanting to grow fodder but im not sure where to start:frow
I've been youtubeing googling but want to hear more from different people. Ive got a lil greenhouse with 4 shelves. So can do 6 trays. Last shelf is on ground has the water catching tray. I started some but they went bit funny so want more advice. Possibly is too hot atm.
I've herd to use bleach But I don't know about feeding it to the chooks :hmm

I've been youtubeing googling but want to hear more from different people. Ive got a lil greenhouse with 4 shelves. So can do 6 trays. Last shelf is on ground has the water catching tray. I started some but they went bit funny so want more advice. Possibly is too hot atm.
I've herd to use bleach But I don't know about feeding it to the chooks :hmm
I really want to grow it for my chickens but I'm not sure if it would grow in the garage since I dont have the room for it in the house. Where are you growing yours.

I started this last year following these instructions to a tee:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/345440233913099947/

I placed it on my window sill and it did grow but...........The bottom sprouts were a bit slimmey and it was really hard to get out of the jar. Annnddd after all that the chicks would'nt touch the stuff. Maybe I'll try again now that they are older.
I have like 80 chooks :lol: so that would be alot of jars haha I've tried this for my quail though

I really want to grow it for my chickens but I'm not sure if it would grow in the garage since I dont have the room for it in the house. Where are you growing yours.
I have mine outside under a lean too but average temps go from like 10/15°c to 20/25°c to most the time shouldn't be a prob. Atm its like 30°c day so think they getting too hot. If Its cold were u are it would prob have to be inside possibly garage? I'm no expert tho! :confused:

I just started doing this, and this video is awesome.
My setup is outside, and so far I've used alfalfa, wheatgrass, rye and birdseed (for fun). Alfalfa and wheat are great, rye turned into a yeasty smelly mess and birdseed started to sprout a little and I just gave it to them because it had corn in it and I didn't want it to get soggy. I put the rye mess in the compost. I just ordered 25# of Wheatgrass from TrueLeaf after my "trying it" phase. I love this, even though my chickens are in a big yard they don't have great greens to eat.
Oh - and they LOVE it!!

I just started doing this, and this video is awesome.
My setup is outside, and so far I've used alfalfa, wheatgrass, rye and birdseed (for fun). Alfalfa and wheat are great, rye turned into a yeasty smelly mess and birdseed started to sprout a little and I just gave it to them because it had corn in it and I didn't want it to get soggy. I put the rye mess in the compost. I just ordered 25# of Wheatgrass from TrueLeaf after my "trying it" phase. I love this, even though my chickens are in a big yard they don't have great greens to eat.
Oh - and they LOVE it!!
Thanks, yes I think I saw this video. I'm just doing wheat for now but might try barley but I think it's too hot atm and goes bit moldy n stinky I've added extra holes and using bleach but still doesn't look the the vids I watch online! :lol:

Maybe it's the trays you're using? Forgive the store references - I'm sure they're different from those you have in New Zealand! I'll try to take a few photos when I'm in the yard and add them to this post.
Here are the 3 types of trays I'm experimenting with:
I've got the large plastic containers spring mix comes in, I buy organic spinach from Sam's for $4 and keep the container. Those work great.
I'm using clear Rubbermaid food storage containers that are long and shallow, they come with red lids. They're too expensive to buy for this but I had them already.
Lastly, I bought aluminum turkey roasting pans from Aldi for $1 each because they're very sturdy and other "sprouters" have used them with great success.
The holes I poke in depend on the size of seed. Since I tried alfalfa I needed very small holes so the seed doesn't fall through them.
Hole tip: poke them through from the inside because the hole forms a little "lip" of plastic and that affects drainage. That little ridge of plastic (or aluminum) keeps more water in the bottom of the pan, which leads to rot.

Back
Top Bottom