Lethargic 17 week old Pullet with no obvious signs of issues except being lethargic

Update:

I carried Cheepers to a Vet.

Good news: Did a stool exam. No Coccidiosis. No lice or mites. No worms. He did not suspect Mereks. Doesnt think its something i should worry about the rest of the flock getting. Call him immediately if others in the flock start acting the same.

Bad news: Still nothing solid on why she is acting this way. She was thin. Her crop empty. He suspects something intestinal but nothing was conclusive. She probably got into something.

Put her on Albon for five days. Bring her back on Monday

She is isolated. She drinks and eats very little. She has scrambled eggs, vitamin water, regular water, grit in her "hospital room" but doesnt seem that intersted. Her poop still looks like the above picture. She looks so sad and is calling out to her flock mates.

All we can do at this point is wait and see. So frustrating! The vet visit was well worth it. I learned so much! It also made me more confident that I know a little about what I am doing after 2 years of chicken ownership :) Gave me a little more confidence.

🤞

Update:

Cheepers is doing better today. Took her to the vet and she gained wait. She is animated. She is still pooping green.

Late this afternoon I went out and a second bird. Peep, is now acting exactly the same:
1) separated herself from rest of flock
2) did not come running when i walked in the run
3) pulling head back, then closing her eyes and her head slowly drifting down
4) when she lays down her back/tail is slightly raised, like she is laying "forward" on her feet
5) empty crop
5) green poop

Calling vet again tomorrow.

Question: I think the Albon suspension is a form of antibiotics. I am raising chickens for eggs to avoid antibiotics (as well as other things). I don't want to administer it to all my hens. How do folks raise chickens antibiotic free? What are the alternatives?

Update: Cheepers is doing great. Peep never was quite as lethargic as Cheepers. She was separated for 2 days. I gave her nutri drench, bananas, eggs and she recovered quickly and is also doing great.

Still a mystery with the green green poop and being so lethargic. Must have been something they ate is all I can figure.

Back
Top Bottom