Lethargic and wobbly hen this morning. Need advice

Chickwazy

In the Brooder
Jan 14, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
I have a 1year old black austolorp hen who is lethargic and wobbly on her feet this morning. She laid an egg, is eating and her poop looks normal. She feels a little skinny and she has always been behind in her development. She didn’t start to lay until months after the others from her hatchling group and is smaller than the other hens. The other hens are doing fine and acting normal. She was okay yesterday. This just started this morning. Any ideas of what the problem could be? Any suggestions?

Not medically speaking, but I did also have a runt who developed slowly and was always sort of "off." It seems neurological to me when I'd watch her behavior. Again, no real medical diagnosis, I did not take her to a vet. She did also seem to get worse after year 1. She would just stand in one place for a long time. Eventually she passed at 2. I feel like when they are born with issues, it can't really be resolved but you can give the best care possible. Extra vitamins, like a weekly nutri-drench. Just very good care and feed. Or if you just really have to find out what the true medical condition is, you can always see a vet. Sorry if that wasn't real helpul, it just really reminded me of my little "Lemon."

Not medically speaking, but I did also have a runt who developed slowly and was always sort of "off." It seems neurological to me when I'd watch her behavior. Again, no real medical diagnosis, I did not take her to a vet. She did also seem to get worse after year 1. She would just stand in one place for a long time. Eventually she passed at 2. I feel like when they are born with issues, it can't really be resolved but you can give the best care possible. Extra vitamins, like a weekly nutri-drench. Just very good care and feed. Or if you just really have to find out what the true medical condition is, you can always see a vet. Sorry if that wasn't real helpul, it just really reminded me of my little "Lemon."
even though she was a bit of a runt, up until this morning, her behavior was normal. Her crop was empty this morning until she ate, she has no visible injuries or parasites. She just wobbles and stumbles and seems lethargic. Her comb and wattles never really developed but she did finally start laying and laid an egg this morning. I’m just isolating her and keeping my eye on her for now.

If you have a B complex or super B complex, give her one of those daily (human ones, capsule or tablet). Sometimes that can help a lot. Deficiency in the B's is not uncommon and can cause balance issues or looking drunk. If she's having absorption issues that may be the case. Either way, it will hurt nothing. Has she always been thin? Have you ever wormed or had a fecal done to check for parasites? What do her droppings look like?

Back
Top Bottom