lethargic blue orpington rooster ideas?

Lynnk

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 25, 2007
Hi I have this beautiful boy "Louis" after Louis Armstrong...He is about a year old and is usually very friendly but also energetic. He's a lover not a fighter.

He didn't go out with the girls today and stayed in the coop. I couldn't see anything wrong, but I left him with clean water and food. this evening he was hunched over, no runny nose, no diarrhea, no lice, but quieter than usual and just doesn't look right. Good colour in his comb and wattles. No visible injury. I brought him inside and he is in the bathroom in a tub and looked at the food, but didn't eat. Nothing to speak of in his croup. No discharge of any kind from any orifice. He can stand, but just seems hunkered down and low energy.

any ideas?

I'm puzzled. and worried.

thanks
Lynn

I just went to check on him and he had died. So sad. But the frustrating part is not knowing why. I would really appreciate any insight you may have. None of my others are showing any similar signs so far.

thanks

would it be worth doing a necropsy?

their heart muscles go mushy from the worms? can you "worm" chickens? I worm all my other animals but wasn't aware that worms were an issue in poultry.

can you actually see the worms or are they not visible?

creepy. I'll have to have a look. Any other ideas of what I should be looking for? He was fine yesterday and just looked a bit lethargic then suddenly, dead.

thanks for the response I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom